[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS Excel

myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) (01/30/91)

Does anyone know how to plot a series of numbers that are not of equal
intervals and still retain proper distances on the plot???

e.g.  Year: 1900  1920  1929  1940  1950
         #:   21    30     8    10    15

I need the above data drawn into a line, but I need to use this raw data
(not manually interpolate) and preserve the proper distances between years.

Thank you greatly in advance,
Franklin Myers
myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

P.S. Please e-mail responses -- I post if there's interest.

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (02/01/91)

myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) writes:
>Does anyone know how to plot a series of numbers that are not of equal
>intervals and still retain proper distances on the plot???

Who is doing the FAQ these days?

Here is something I saved:

In article <1990Nov26.170159.24659@cs.umn.edu>, aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
> Someone wants to do x,y graphs in Excel.  Ugh.  You have to have the x and
> y data next to each other, x to the left, and select both sets of numbers
> and "Copy".  Start a new graph, then "Paste Special", click the box that says
> "Catagories in First Column" and click "Okay".  I just tried it and it worked
> just like that.
> I used "Scatter" for my type, I have a feeling "Pie" won't work as well.
>
> For x,y graphs, Excel sucks.  For x,y,z graphs, go fish.

Actually, the columns don't have to be consecutive--I used to think so as
well, but somebody on the net corrected me.  You select the x column first,
and then select the other column while holding down either the option key
or the command key (I don't have Excel handy here, or I would tell you for
sure--I am almost positive it is the option key).

If you are really dissatisfied with Excel for plotting, I recommend Delta-
Graph.  It is much more powerful than CricketGraph (and only a little more
difficult to use), and it does excellent 3d graphs.  It also imports Excel
files directly.

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu
mac-admin@cs.umn.edu  <-= Macintosh related

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/01/91)

:>
:Actually, the columns don't have to be consecutive--I used to think so as
:well, but somebody on the net corrected me.  You select the x column first,
:and then select the other column while holding down either the option key

Another neat trick, you can edit the series descriptions in chart 'mode'.
Say you have an existing chart, and you want a new series with the same
x 'column' as an existing one - you can select the series copy, paste,
chnage the y `column` reference and now you have a new series on the chart.

Excell is _almost_ useful for x/y charting.  If it werent for a few
stupid quirks, like the lack of a line-only scatter graph...sigh

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) (02/01/91)

In <1991Jan31.203753.10111@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:

>myers@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Franklin Myers) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to plot a series of numbers that are not of equal
>>intervals and still retain proper distances on the plot???

>Actually, the columns don't have to be consecutive--I used to think so as
>well, but somebody on the net corrected me.  You select the x column first,
>and then select the other column while holding down either the option key
>or the command key (I don't have Excel handy here, or I would tell you for
>sure--I am almost positive it is the option key).

>Jay Boisseau

It's the control key.  Select the first cell or group of cells, go
over the next group, hold down option, click.  Pressing option will
delete cells, or something like that, or move cells in, I can't
remember.

--Alan

--
--Alan