[comp.sys.mac.apps] Disk Partitioning of Silverlining

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (01/29/91)

Hello, I have used Rodime Drivers before to give me disk partitions which is
even recognisable when booting from any floppy with System without having to
contain a particular INIT to find them. Now that I am using a Quantum, are
there any disk partitioning software that does this? I don't like the SUM II
option where you require a separate INIT to find these partitions. I don't
want dressed up folders pretending to be partitions. I want something that
provides the partition as a separate entity to the core, e.g. if I partition
an 80meg HD to two 40meg partitions, then the sum of disk space used and disk
space left should only be 40megs on either one but not 80meg in one of them.
I also would like to be able to get Startup Device to recognise I have two
HDs in this example and can choose which one to boot from.

I'm looking for people who have used the Rodimes before so they know what I
mean and hopefully they may also provide good recommendations. I currently
have a 200meg drive. Please mail me. Those interested in the remedies if any
should also mail me and I will pass on any relevant advice.

Thanks in advance.

Norton
P.S. Silverlining was proposed. I've noticed a DA and INIT so I don't know if
it does it along the lines of SUM II's partitioning software.

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan29.005311.7978@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) writes:

   Hello, I have used Rodime Drivers before to give me disk partitions which is
   even recognisable when booting from any floppy with System without having to
   contain a particular INIT to find them. Now that I am using a Quantum, are
   there any disk partitioning software that does this? I don't like the SUM II
   option where you require a separate INIT to find these partitions. I don't
   want dressed up folders pretending to be partitions. I want something that
   provides the partition as a separate entity to the core, e.g. if I partition
   an 80meg HD to two 40meg partitions then the sum of disk space used and disk
   space left should only be 40megs on either one but not 80meg in one of them.
   I also would like to be able to get Startup Device to recognise I have two
   HDs in this example and can choose which one to boot from.

Silverlining will do this.  The Init/DA which come with it, (which
actually are NOT related to each other) are (for the Init) to
force-mount any removable drive cartridges which are loaded, and (for
the DA) to mount any drive partitions which have been dismounted, or
which were not set to mount at boot time.

Silverlining creates true SCSI partitions, which do fool the hard
drive into thinking it is two or more drives.  I use it to have
roughly 4 partitions, a Data partition, an Applications partition, and
two system partitions (backup is everything)! and have a floppy disk I
use to re-arrange disk space & to 'turn on' the second system
partition in case of a crash...

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   it is,
(617) 894-6859 or 647-3720  | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |    getting old"

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University |   it is,

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.005311.7978@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) writes:
  <<<stuff deleted>>>
>contain a particular INIT to find them. Now that I am using a Quantum, are
>there any disk partitioning software that does this? I don't like the SUM II
>option where you require a separate INIT to find these partitions. I don't
>want dressed up folders pretending to be partitions. I want something that
  <<<stuff deleted>>>
>P.S. Silverlining was proposed. I've noticed a DA and INIT so I don't know if
>it does it along the lines of SUM II's partitioning software.

No. Silverlining should do what you want although you should call their tech
support first to see if they handle the drive in question (1-800-999-0143 and
ask for tech support). I believe that the init is for sepcial SCSI devices that
don't mount themselves properly or something like that. I don't know since I
have never needed it. The DA replicates some of the functions in the
Silverlining utility itself. Since when you configure your disk to have
partitions, each one will mount separatly. You can configure whether or not the
volume is to mount at boot time or only mount when called to mount (it can
further have this operation password protected). The DA allows you mount
unmounted volumes and change their boot time behaviour (subject to the
protection settings for the volume).

One other thing that is really nice, if you want to change a partition's size,
with Silverlining you can usually do it WITHOUT having to re-initialize the
volume (I'M in LUUVVV with THIS feature!). Also, if you needed a 60 Mbyte
partition (say, for a database) and you only had 4 separate 40 Mbyte drives,
Silverlining can do it in a way that the partition "spans" the two drives in a
transparent fashion.

If LaCie supports your drive (and if it is a Quantum, I suspect that they do),
get Silverlining. I don't think that you'll ever regret it!

Hope this helps!

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Norman William Franke, III) (01/30/91)

SilverLining does not need an INIT for mounting other volumes. They all
will come up. The INIT is for the 45 meg removables which LaCie sold.
There is a DA also, which allows you to mount volumes if you unmounted
them for some reason, or to mount volumes you didn't set to auto-mount.
It also allows the locking of volumes.

:                                                          :
: Norman Franke, III                  nf0i+@andrew.cmu.edu :
: Special Projects              Carnegie Mellon University :
: Macintosh Users Group, VP                 Pittsburgh, PA :
:..........................................................:
              "Why can't I get more quota?"

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (02/01/91)

In article <5189@tellab5.tellabs.com> wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) writes:

> [lots of stuff about Silverlining, including...]
>If LaCie supports your drive (and if it is a Quantum, I suspect that they do),
>get Silverlining. I don't think that you'll ever regret it!

Okay, here's my question. Where can you get Silverlining besides direct
from LaCie? It's against my religion to pay full retail for any program
except shareware :-), and I haven't seen it bundled with anyone else's
drives. Am I missing the small print in some MacWeek ad or another? Or
is there really no other way to get it?

Same question for the LaCie scanner, by the way... anyone else carry it?

--K

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :