[comp.sys.mac.apps] Mac -> PC PowerPoint

legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) (01/31/91)

  Calling any users of Powerpoint for Mac and/or PC.

  Microsoft went to a great trouble to say that PowerPoint for Windows
could read PowerPoint for Macintosh files in all of the advertising
literature about it.

  My question is - has anyone managed to get this to work?

  I expect that a more recent version of PowerPoint for the Mac may be
required - can anyone tell me what it is so that I don't have to spend
30 minutes on hold (at our expense) to Microsoft to find out?

  Thanks in advance!

  Christian Legg

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (01/31/91)

In article <2306@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:

>  Calling any users of Powerpoint for Mac and/or PC.
>
>  Microsoft went to a great trouble to say that PowerPoint for Windows
>could read PowerPoint for Macintosh files in all of the advertising
>literature about it.
>
>  My question is - has anyone managed to get this to work?

No, but...

Microsoft Office for Windows (which includes PowerPoint) came with
a card to obtain "free" Apple File Exchange Translators for PowerPoint.
For only $4.50 shipping and handling.

I mailed the card today. We'll see.

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

SK01@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (02/01/91)

We have tried to read PC Powerpoint files into a Mac & it didn't work, even
after altering labels etc. with resedit. The Mac finally recognised the
existence of the PC files but couldn't cope with the file format. We have
not tried the reverse route ie reading Mac files on a PC. In our PC
documentation, in small print, it says that Microsoft will provide a utility
to enable the the conversion, free of charge, upon request. We have requested
and are still waiting (about 2 weeks so far). Hope this helps.
Steve Walker. Computers in Teaching Initiative, Centre for Chemistry.

nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.083029.9697@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:
> In article <2306@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:
>>
>>  Calling any users of Powerpoint for Mac and/or PC.
>>
>>  Microsoft went to a great trouble to say that PowerPoint for Windows
>>could read PowerPoint for Macintosh files in all of the advertising
>>literature about it.
>>
>>  My question is - has anyone managed to get this to work?
>
> No, but...
>
> Microsoft Office for Windows (which includes PowerPoint) came with
> a card to obtain "free" Apple File Exchange Translators for PowerPoint.
> For only $4.50 shipping and handling.
>
> I mailed the card today. We'll see.
>
> jim
>
> --
>      __           __
>      /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud
>     /  /  /\/\   /__    Silvar-Lisco, Inc.  +1.408.991.6115    | MacIIsi
> /__/  /  /   /  /__/   703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086 |  owner

We are using the Translators from Microsoft.  They do work, though they don't
do the best job on some imported graphics.  Going Powerpoint (MAC) to
Powerpoint (Windows) and the reverse does work well without other imported
graphics involved.

--

Ted Nieland				nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil
Control Data Corporation		nieland@dayfac.cdc.com