[comp.sys.mac.apps] Soft PC on LC

mab@ecmwf.co.uk (Baudoin Raoult) (01/22/91)

Can you run Soft PC on the Mac LC ?

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (01/24/91)

mab@ecmwf.co.uk (Baudoin Raoult) writes:

> Can you run Soft PC on the Mac LC ?

Insignia has announced a Classic/LC version of SoftPC which is expected to
ship in February. As a side note, Insignia has decided to make it capable of
running on the Plus as well.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

Randy.Shaw@p1.f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Shaw) (01/28/91)

> From: mab@ecmwf.co.uk (Baudoin Raoult)
> Date: 22 Jan 91 08:39:49 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
>

> Can you run Soft PC on the Mac LC ?

A new version of SoftPC that will run on the Plus, SE, and the LC is due out
"any day now". It will retail for $200., so figure mail order of approx.
$140. or so. It emulates a '286 CPU, but runs at approx. XT speeds on an LC.

--
Randy Shaw - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555.1!Randy.Shaw

mab@ecmwf.co.uk (Baudoin Raoult) (01/30/91)

Does SOFT PC works on a LC ?

quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) (02/02/91)

mab@ecmwf.co.uk (Baudoin Raoult) writes:
>Does SOFT PC works on a LC ?

Yes.

SoftPC needs an 020 processor and 2 megs of RAM.  If you want to use SoftPC
EGA/AT,  you need 4 megs of RAM.  You can tell EGA/AT to disable it's 287
emulator if you don't have a math chip.

Late this month we should be shipping SoftPC classic.  It works on the LC,
the Plus, The SE, the Classic, and the portable.  It emulates a 286 without
a math co-processor with CGA graphics.  And it will list for $199.

- As soon as you have made  :              I am                  -
- a thought, laugh at it.   :      quark@asylum.sf.cs.us         -
-     --Lao Tse             :   and I have many opinions...      _

toster@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Tom Oster) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan25.113210.7552@vax1.tcd.ie> dagraham@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
> Does the LC have a FPU anyhow?

No, & none is currently available to my knowledge.  However, a program
called PseudoFPU appeared recently on comp.binaries.mac.  I tried it with
the Satori module in AfterDark (which requires the FPU) and it ran  --
slowly, but it ran.  The docs that came with it indicated that it would be
about 100 times slower than the hardware version.

As the original post was:

> In article <1991Jan22.083949.20507@ecmwf.co.uk>, mab@ecmwf.co.uk
(Baudoin Raoult) writes:

> > Can you run Soft PC on the Mac LC ?

I would expect that any resulting system (with 2 separate hardware
emulations) would be far to slow for a sane person to want to deal with.

PseudoFPU was written by:
John M. Neil
3257 Greer Road
Palo Alto, California 94303

He says in his documentation:
"You may distribute this product free of charge to anyone.  You may not
distribute this product for any fee whatsoever, nor may you distribute it
with any product for which a fee is charged.  For information on
commercial licensing, contact me at the address below."  (In this case,
above.)

Hope this helps.

Tom Oster - Computing Resource Center
Baylor College of Medicine