[comp.sys.mac.apps] help in generating a font

gyen@okeefe.helios.nd.edu (Gune Yen) (01/31/91)

Hi MacExpert,
    I am an engineering student and require to write papers quite often.
Sometime, I was unable to have the document exactly what I want just because of unavailable characters (e.g., a three dot in vertical line). Can anyone out there tell me how to create a specific font I want. Please explain how to obtain the utility to do so if necessary.
    Thank you so much.

Gary

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/02/91)

(use some carriage returns dude)

:    I am an engineering student and require to write papers quite often.
:Sometime, I was unable to have the document exactly what I want just
:because of unavailable characters (e.g., a three dot in vertical line).
:Can anyone out there tell me how to create a specific font I want.
:Please explain how to obtain the utility to do

I am in some boat, but let me be a little more specific.  I need to create
characters which look good on a Deskwriter _and_ a postscript LaserWriter.
(and the screen would be nice)

Utilities to read/write/edit type 1 ps fonts are way out of my price range
and type 3 ps fonts will be difficult to send to the DW

So..
I guess what I need is a utility for creating and editing 4x bitmap fonts.
It would be nice if there was a way to import characters from
existing ps fonts (via ATM possibly?)

I would consider commercial software - just not the $500 kind.

Any ideas?

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

djbailey@skyler.mavd.honeywell.com (02/03/91)

In article <36773@netnews.upenn.edu>, jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:
> I guess what I need is a utility for creating and editing 4x bitmap fonts.
> It would be nice if there was a way to import characters from
> existing ps fonts (via ATM possibly?)
>
> I would consider commercial software - just not the $500 kind.

Yes, I was in the same boat and bought Fontastic Plus from Altsys for
about $50. It will let you rescale and edit bit map fonts. It does the
job. It has a couple of background planes where you can draw
guidelines for yourself.  The manual is pretty good.

Warning!  After creating a couple of bitmap fonts, you will be tempted
to invent postscript.  You have to work on each and every character to
get the best effect. The tools in Fontastic make the job tolerable but
it is still work.

An unpaid (darn) testimonial from Don J. Bailey.