[comp.sys.mac.apps] Money mgt. software; don't forget the razor blades

sanford@aria.ascend.com (Curtis Sanford) (02/02/91)

As a new user of Quicken, I agree it is excellent performance at low initial
cost.  However, the low cost appears deceptive.  I have just spent over twice
the initial software cost to get 500 checks and envelopes to take full
advantage of the package.  This is the give away the razors, and take 'em
on the blades dodge.  Does anyone have suggestions for alternative channels
for Quicken compatible Deskwriter compatible checks and envelopes?

chuck@gistdev.gist.com (Chuck Welsh) (02/05/91)

sanford@aria.ascend.com (Curtis Sanford) writes:

>Does anyone have suggestions for alternative channels
>for Quicken compatible Deskwriter compatible checks and envelopes?

I suggest that you look at Deluxe Checks.  They make a lot of checks for
many banks around the country.  I have one of their catalogues at home and
they seem to offer imprinted checks which are compatible with nearly every
money management software package available.

Note, however, that for some unexplained reason, these checks are in fact
rather expensive.  You won't find the same cheap price for
computer-printable checks that you get for the 200 or so checks you buy
every year at your bank.

Further note:  If the folks who write Quicken are worth their marketing
salt, (and they are), you'll get sales pitches for yearly updates.  This
service will probably give you another opportunity to buy more razor
blades (ie a new release every year).  Then perhaps you won't feel so bad
about spending $80 for 500 checks....
| Chuck Welsh, GIST, Inc., 1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL, 61874 |
| INTERNET: gistqa!cwelsh%gistdev@usc.cso.uiuc.edu                |
| UUCP:     {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!gistqa!cwelsh   |