[comp.sys.mac.apps] Excel and Mac IIsi FPU problems...

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) (02/02/91)

	My older version of Excel doesn't want to work on my new Mac IIsi
(no FPU).  I've been told that there is a set of modifier keys to use the
the application is launched which will allow me to continue to run my
software without purchasing the FPU upgrade.  Does anybody know if this is
true and what they are?

				Thanks,
				Bill Bogstad

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (02/03/91)

wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) writes:
>	My older version of Excel doesn't want to work on my new Mac IIsi
>(no FPU).  I've been told that there is a set of modifier keys to use the
>the application is launched which will allow me to continue to run my
>software without purchasing the FPU upgrade.

I'd guess that the upgrade would be free (after all, it's MicroSoft's poor
coding that is responsible for the problem), but for now:

There is a fake FPU program that supposedly makes Excel think there is an FPU.

Look in info-mac/cdev at sumex-aim.stanford.edu for pseudo-fpu-11.hqx.

The header says:

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu
mac-admin@cs.umn.edu  <-= Macintosh related

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (02/05/91)

In article <01.Feb.91.201223.28@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu>, wjb@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu (William J. Bogstad) writes:
|> 	My older version of Excel doesn't want to work on my new Mac IIsi
|> (no FPU).  I've been told that there is a set of modifier keys to use the
|> the application is launched which will allow me to continue to run my
|> software without purchasing the FPU upgrade.  Does anybody know if this is
|> true and what they are?

Hold down Command, Option, and Shift while launching Excel, and it will disable
the check for an FPU.  You can also use PseudoFPU, as someone suggested, or
call Microsoft and have them send you version 2.2a (although version 3.0 will
be along in a few months).

-- Russell S. Finn
rsfinn@{athena,lcs}.mit.edu