[comp.sys.mac.apps] Compact Pro 1.30 BinHex problem

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (02/05/91)

I noticed a problem with the BinHex 4.0 conversion feature of
Compact Pro which may cause some difficulty for net people.

Compact Pro fails to recognize BinHex 4.0 files that contain header
text.  (Most of the Mac ftp archives in BinHex 4.0 format begin with
an abstract.)   I assume that the problem is that Compact Pro expects
a BinHex 4.0 file  to *start* with the string (This file must be
converted with BinHex 4.0) rather that decoding everything between
"(...)" and the ":".

All that is needed to make the decoder fail is to insert a single
character ahead of the (...) string.  Trailing garbage doesn't seem
to make a difference.  Otherwise, the BinHex conversion seems to be
faster than that of the BinHqx DA or the StuffIts.

It is possible to edit out any extraneous header info with a text editor,
but this can be a hassle for long files on low memory Macs.  Anybody
know how to get the word to Bill Goodman?

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

holzman@sequent.UUCP (Alan Holzman) (02/06/91)

In article <43720@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>Compact Pro fails to recognize BinHex 4.0 files that contain header
>text.  (Most of the Mac ftp archives in BinHex 4.0 format begin with
>an abstract.)   I assume that the problem is that Compact Pro expects
>a BinHex 4.0 file  to *start* with the string (This file must be
>converted with BinHex 4.0) rather that decoding everything between
>"(...)" and the ":".
>
>It is possible to edit out any extraneous header info with a text editor,
>but this can be a hassle for long files on low memory Macs.  Anybody
>know how to get the word to Bill Goodman?

I've already exchanged mail with Bill Goodman on Compuserve about this problem.
He knows about the un-binhex problem and his answer was almost identical to
Bill Johnston's posting ... remove the text leader or it won't work ! He did
say that he originally had a means of removing the text leader in the Beta
version, but his Beta testers complained so he removed it. He also stated that
he would be adding a "more sophisticated" method (for un-binhexing ?) in the
next release. He did not give a date for this next release.

This is really too bad. Many people have been anxiously awaiting this new
version of Compactor (Compact Pro 1.30). The hope was to finally be able to
have one program that could unstuff VERY fast AND binhex. Having to remove the
text headers is a big step backward compared to Stuffit or Stuffit Classic and
I guess shows that everyone is human. If I was Bill, I would have waited on
release until I had got un-binhexing correct. Hopefully he can correct it soon
and maybe even add an auto-conversion feature from Stuffit --> Compact Pro
format.

Alan Holzman                            Internet = holzman@sequent.com
Sequent Computer Systems Inc.           UUCP = ...!sequent!holzman
Operating Systems Product Manager       AOL = AHOLZMAN
(503) 578-5184                          C$S = 76665,3406