[comp.sys.mac.apps] Edit II V1.0.2 Problems

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (02/06/91)

I have several problems with the new Edit text processor,
called Edit II V 1.0.2.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

1) Prints backwards - This processor insists on printing
to a laserwriter first page last.  Unless I open the side
door of the printer, I need to sort the pages to the
proper order.  Is there some way to stop this like
MacWrite II can?

2) Prints the date in the header - This is a nice feature
but I would love to be able to turn it off as my file names
tend to have the date embedded.  This has caused me
confusion on multiple ocassions.

3) Lack of large clip board - There are times when I want
to cut & paste a large quantity of text.  Edit II cannot
handle 1/4 the amount of text copied to the clipboard that
Edit 2.1 can.  Is there a way around this?

Thanks, John
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) (02/07/91)

In article <5770@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>I have several problems with the new Edit text processor,
>called Edit II V 1.0.2.  Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
>1) Prints backwards - This processor insists on printing
>to a laserwriter first page last.  Unless I open the side
>door of the printer, I need to sort the pages to the
>proper order.  Is there some way to stop this like
>MacWrite II can?
>
>2) Prints the date in the header - This is a nice feature
>but I would love to be able to turn it off as my file names
>tend to have the date embedded.  This has caused me
>confusion on multiple ocassions.
>
>3) Lack of large clip board - There are times when I want
>to cut & paste a large quantity of text.  Edit II cannot
>handle 1/4 the amount of text copied to the clipboard that
>Edit 2.1 can.  Is there a way around this?

**************

Sorry, no solutions but I would like to add a question as well:
4) Edit has a Show Clipboard option in the Edit menu. I don't think Edit II
does. Is this correct? Can it be remedied??

Just sticking my beak in :)

Norton

***************

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (02/07/91)

carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Fisher Library support) writes:

>In article <5770@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
Another problem that I have found. Edit II doesn't like filename that
includes ";" in it.

On a related note, my impression on Edit II is that Edit II is a
RAM-based text editor. While I love the simplicity of Edit II, I need a
disk-based text editor in order to deal with some of the very large text
files. Of course, I can use Word 4.0, but I'd rather not deal with word
processors in this case. So my question is, are there any disk-based
text editor that resembles Edit II? I want it to be applications (so
McSink is out) and I want it to be freeware/shareware (so Qued/M is
out).

Chang
--
Chang P. Woo