[comp.sys.mac.apps] ATM screen performance on low-end Mac's?

sanford@aria.ascend.com (Curtis Sanford) (02/02/91)

Does anyone have any comment on the performance of ATM on low end machines such
as the Classic?  It seems that outlining fonts could add a CPU burden, and
the performance of these machines with programs such as Hypercard is already
distinctly sluggish.  I don't care about print time so much as screen
updates and generation.

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (02/02/91)

In article <397@aria.ascend.com> sanford@aria.ascend.com (Curtis Sanford) writes:
>Does anyone have any comment on the performance of ATM on low end machines such
>as the Classic?  It seems that outlining fonts could add a CPU burden, and
>the performance of these machines with programs such as Hypercard is already
>distinctly sluggish.  I don't care about print time so much as screen
>updates and generation.

I haven't noticed any terrible speed problems on my SE with ATM (It's the latest version of ATM).  My biggest gripe is when I pull down the font menu for some
programs, it takes forever for the menu to be generated.  This isn't SE
specific, it occurs on my IIcx, too.  Maybe my font cache is set to low?

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (02/05/91)

   Curtis Sanford wrote:

CS> Does anyone have any comment on the performance of ATM on low
CS> end machines such as the Classic?

   On my Mac Plus, ATM takes about five to ten seconds to generate a
screen bitmap from the Adobe outline font when I change font, size, or
style (bold, italic, etc.). Once the bitmap has been generated, using it
is as quick as using any existing bitmapped font.  ATM doesn't "kick in"
if a bitmap of the requested size, font and style are present in your
system.
   ATM keeps the screen bitmaps it creates in a buffer.  If the buffer is
too small, ATM will have to re-create the screen bitmaps more often,
slowing performance.  Large type sizes occupy more buffer space than
smaller sizes.  Using a large number of fonts will also tend to fill up
the buffer more quickly.
   You can control the size of ATM's buffer in the Control Panel.
   After adjusting to the delay in changing font, size or style, I've
found that ATM provides satisfactory speed even on my Mac Plus.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (seth alan tisue) (02/13/91)

In article <146099.27B389C9@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) writes:

>   ATM keeps the screen bitmaps it creates in a buffer.  If the buffer is
>too small, ATM will have to re-create the screen bitmaps more often,
>slowing performance.  Large type sizes occupy more buffer space than
>smaller sizes.  Using a large number of fonts will also tend to fill up
>the buffer more quickly.
>   You can control the size of ATM's buffer in the Control Panel.
>   After adjusting to the delay in changing font, size or style, I've
>found that ATM provides satisfactory speed even on my Mac Plus.

I use an SE/30, so the bitmap-generating delays are less, but they are still
definitely noticeable (2-5 seconds); also note that separate bitmaps must
be generated for all the different styles (normal, bold, italic, bold/italic)
of a font.

This delay is no problem under ordinary circumstances, but if you're working
with a document with many different fonts, and a small buffer size, it's
possible to have programs like PageMaker slow down to a complete crawl --
I mention page-layout programs in particular, since with those you frequently
change views (100%, 200%, etc.), which requires generating new bitmaps.

Sum: ATM's fine unless you're working with a bunch of different fonts (say,
more than three) in different sizes -- and even then, you can make the problem
lessen if you've got lots of memory to give ATM.

--
-----
Seth Tisue  (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu                 P.O. Box 5975