[comp.sys.mac.apps] Zip+4 barcode program

EJN@ornl.gov (Earl Nall) (02/05/91)

Has someone written a Macintosh shareware program to do the following?  It
would be very useful!!

Beginning midyear personal computer software can save you money on every
first-class letter you mail.

The Postal Service board of governors last week approved a 27-cent public
automation rate for letter envelopes that include a nine-digit (ZIP+4) ZIP
code and a preapplied Postnet bar code.

All other postage increases take effect February 3, but the public
automation rate was delayed because the Postal Service has no 27-cent
stamps and wants to teach the public about bar-coded mail.

The Postal Service will have its hands full ensuring the general public
understands that 27-cent stamps can be used only on prebar-coded
envelopes, such as bill-remittance envelopes. But the service could save
$40 million to $80 million for every 1 percent of mail that is
prebarcoded, according to Postal Service documents.

The service's optical scanners already generate Postnet bar codes while
processing mail. It also plans to implement procedures to certify software
such as Envelope Manager a $145 DOS program by PSI Associates of Palo
Alto. California.

Earl Nall
Oak Ridge National Lab
Internet: ejn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: ejn@ornlstc
Phone: 615/574-8689     Fax: 615/576-0099

wayner@ask.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (02/05/91)

EJN@ornl.gov (Earl Nall) writes:

>Has someone written a Macintosh shareware program to do the following?  It
>would be very useful!!

>Beginning midyear personal computer software can save you money on every
>first-class letter you mail.

>The Postal Service board of governors last week approved a 27-cent public
>automation rate for letter envelopes that include a nine-digit (ZIP+4) ZIP
>code and a preapplied Postnet bar code.

>All other postage increases take effect February 3, but the public
>automation rate was delayed because the Postal Service has no 27-cent
>stamps and wants to teach the public about bar-coded mail.

>The Postal Service will have its hands full ensuring the general public
>understands that 27-cent stamps can be used only on prebar-coded
>envelopes, such as bill-remittance envelopes. But the service could save
>$40 million to $80 million for every 1 percent of mail that is
>prebarcoded, according to Postal Service documents.

>The service's optical scanners already generate Postnet bar codes while
>processing mail. It also plans to implement procedures to certify software
>such as Envelope Manager a $145 DOS program by PSI Associates of Palo
>Alto. California.

If someone can point me to the information, I'll write a shareware
version pretty quickly. This is easy to do. Just get me the specs.

-Peter

>Earl Nall
>Oak Ridge National Lab
>Internet: ejn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: ejn@ornlstc
>Phone: 615/574-8689     Fax: 615/576-0099
Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (02/05/91)

I have developed a HyperCard 2.0 stack that incorporates the USPS bar
code font found in the SUMEX-AIM font archives. (Credit here to the
USPS Bar Code author). If you are interested, I will be looking for
beta sites for this shareware soon. The stack outputs address labels
which encode both ZIP and ZIP+4 codes.		- David

kyt@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (02/06/91)

In article <11298@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) writes:
>I have developed a HyperCard 2.0 stack that incorporates the USPS bar
>code font found in the SUMEX-AIM font archives. (Credit here to the
>USPS Bar Code author). If you are interested, I will be looking for
>beta sites for this shareware soon. The stack outputs address labels
>which encode both ZIP and ZIP+4 codes.		- David

I'm curious, doesn't the post office want some sort of weird, large bars on the
top of the envelope as well as the Zip + 4 barcodes?

Kok-Yong Tan can be reached at:      | "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu |	     	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256                | I speak for myself and disclaim all ties
America Online: lallang              | with regard to this message.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.202741.31246@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, kyt@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) writes:

> In article <11298@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) writes:
> >I have developed a HyperCard 2.0 stack that incorporates the USPS bar
> >code font found in the SUMEX-AIM font archives. (Credit here to the
> >USPS Bar Code author). If you are interested, I will be looking for
> >beta sites for this shareware soon. The stack outputs address labels
> >which encode both ZIP and ZIP+4 codes.		- David
> >

> I'm curious, doesn't the post office want some sort of weird, large bars on the
> top of the envelope as well as the Zip + 4 barcodes?

Yes, right next to the stamp.  These are used by their automatic equipment
to figure out which direction is UP.

InTouch, from Advanced Software, prints these bars along with the
zip code barcodes.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

dmittman@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Mittman) (02/07/91)

I have an appointment with the Business Reply manager at my local Post Office
to ask all these questions. I will post the information as soon as I get it.

					- David

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (02/10/91)

Address Book Plus Version2, soon to be released by Power-Up Software
prints 5 and 9 digit bar codes, and the FIM, which are the large bars at the
top of the letter.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (02/13/91)

From article <23070@well.sf.ca.us>, by oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster):
> Address Book Plus Version2, soon to be released by Power-Up Software
> prints 5 and 9 digit bar codes, and the FIM, which are the large bars at the
> top of the letter.
> --
> -- David Phillip Oster - At least the government doesn't make death worse.
> -- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

So does Kiwi Envelopes, shipping now at $33 from MacConnection.

=Ned Horvath=