[comp.sys.mac.apps] parallel Postscript printers

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (02/15/91)

Is it possible to hook up a parallel Postscript printer to a Mac?
(Forgive my ignorance: although I know that most Macs have
serial/AppleTalk ports, I don't know if they have parallel).

Also, if it is possible, what drivers do I need?

Thanks for any help,
-Rich

hermens@jed.cs.uidaho.edu (02/15/91)

In article <Feb.14.11.51.41.1991.5428@u2.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:
>Is it possible to hook up a parallel Postscript printer to a Mac?
>(Forgive my ignorance: although I know that most Macs have
>serial/AppleTalk ports, I don't know if they have parallel).
>
>Also, if it is possible, what drivers do I need?
>
>Thanks for any help,
>-Rich

     Answer:  Not directly.

              However, Extended Systems in Boise, Idaho (USA) sells a
              device called the BridgePort that will hook up a serial,
              parallel and/or AppleTalk machine to a serial or parallel
              printer.
              This device is great because you can connect a PC and a
              Mac at the same time to one PostScript printer and the
              BridgePort will know which machine is "talking" and buffer
              the print job as needed.

Leonard