[comp.sys.mac.apps] putting Freehand stuff into Word ?

6600sgs@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (steve steinberg) (02/14/91)

  I haven't been able to figure out how to import Freehand drawings
into Word documents. The straightforward copy/paste doesn't work
at all. I realize that I can save Freehand drawings in EPS form,
but this doesn't seem to help matters any since when I then load
the EPS file into cricketdraw and paste THAT into Word it comes out
mangled.

  What am I doing wrong?

thanks,

                                                     steve steinberg
                                            6600sgs@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
                                                      (805) 685-6557

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/14/91)

6600sgs@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (steve steinberg) writes:

>  I haven't been able to figure out how to import Freehand drawings
>into Word documents. The straightforward copy/paste doesn't work
>at all. I realize that I can save Freehand drawings in EPS form,
>but this doesn't seem to help matters any since when I then load
>the EPS file into cricketdraw and paste THAT into Word it comes out
>mangled.

In freehand, select the thing you want to copy.  Hold down the option key
and select "Copy".  You will get a message like "Converting clipboard..."
You can now go into Word and paste away.  This option key trick puts EPS
on the clipboard.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

johnk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (John Knippers) (02/14/91)

In article <9090@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600sgs@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (steve steinberg) writes:
>   I haven't been able to figure out how to import Freehand drawings
> into Word documents. The straightforward copy/paste doesn't work
> at all. I realize that I can save Freehand drawings in EPS form,
> but this doesn't seem to help matters any since when I then load
> the EPS file into cricketdraw and paste THAT into Word it comes out
> mangled.
>
>   What am I doing wrong?

  What you need to do in Freehand when you copy the image is to hold
down the option key, this will convert the selection and place it on the
clipboard.  You can then paste into Word.  I do this all the time and it
works fine.

--
John Knippers
Graphic Printing & Imaging Division

piper@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Piper Keairnes) (02/15/91)

6600sgs@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (steve steinberg) writes:

>  I haven't been able to figure out how to import Freehand drawings
>into Word documents. The straightforward copy/paste doesn't work
>at all. I realize that I can save Freehand drawings in EPS form,
>but this doesn't seem to help matters any since when I then load
>the EPS file into cricketdraw and paste THAT into Word it comes out
>mangled.

If you hold down the option key when selecting copy/cut from Freehand's
Edit menu, you will notice a small note pop up saying that the clipboard
is being converted. The conversion process is EPS -> PICT. Word has no
problems accepting PICT images.

--
Piper Keairnes         * piper@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com        * Purdue Univ.
Unisys Corporation     * uunet!s5000.rsvl.unisys.com!piper  * Computing Center