[comp.sys.mac.apps] Timeworks Publisher

rdf@pinet.aip.org (Robert Feinman) (02/10/91)

My daughter at college just got a Classic to use for school work. She
would like a desktop pub program with word processing, graphics and the
other usual features for reports, term papers etc. She has used Timeworks
Publisher on the Atari ST and is fairly happy with it. Has anyone had any
experience with the Mac version of Publish It Easy that could give me some
advice on the suitablity of this? Can it be used as a total package from
document creation through final pages? She is using a Deskwriter, how is
the support for fonts etc.  I don't have any personal Mac experience myself
so any advice would be welcome. Thanks...

--
Robert Feinman						rdf@pinet.aip.org
American Institute of Physics				rdf@aip.bitnet

ljt@sppy00.UUCP (TOMS LAURA) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb9.190051.29341@pinet.aip.org>, rdf@pinet.aip.org (Robert Feinman) writes:
> My daughter at college just got a Classic to use for school work. She
> would like a desktop pub program with word processing, graphics and the
> other usual features for reports, term papers etc. She has used Timeworks
> Publisher on the Atari ST and is fairly happy with it. Has anyone had any
> experience with the Mac version of Publish It Easy that could give me some
> advice on the suitablity of this? Can it be used as a total package from
> document creation through final pages? She is using a Deskwriter, how is
> the support for fonts etc.  I don't have any personal Mac experience myself
> so any advice would be welcome. Thanks...

We have this software for just a few more days.  Our local software place
lets us return software within 30 days, and we've decided not to keep
this stuff.

We have a MacPlus and a DeskWriter.  We bought this software to do
a newsletter and a flyer for a club we belong to.  I've never used
anything else so I can't say how it compares.  In general I like the
way the software works, although it can crash the Mac and has done
so to me several times.  That wouldn't have bothered me if all the
functionality really worked.

It just simply CAN NOT import 300 dpi graphics, period.  The document-
ation claims it can, but it can't.  My husband was on the phone to them
more than half a dozen times and said they were very difficult to reach.
They said they thought it worked, took his number, and never called back.
Finally when my husband told them he either needed to know how soon they
were going to fix it or he was going to return the software, they told
him to return it!  What a way to run a business!

So, we'll be hauling it back to the store and telling the salesman
that the stuff just won't import 300 dpi graphics.  If that's important
to you then don't buy it.  It was a necessity to us.  And obviously,
don't count on decent technical support.
- Laura Toms		                            ...!osu-cis!sppy00!ljt -
- Online Computer Library Center, Dublin, Ohio              (614) 761-5016 -