[comp.sys.mac.apps] A/UX questions

morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (02/14/91)

Hi all,

I have recently purchased Apple's A/UX and its really impressive. BUT...

when A/UX starts up a new system folder comes in to play and the original
is forgotten. All the inits and CDEVs which were loaded first are apparently
unloaded. This creates a serious problem for me and i'm sure many other users
of A/UX. I have software such as QuickMail and Tops running on my machine
which I simply CANNOT DO WITHOUT. I have tried installing QuickMail and Tops
into the new A/UX system folder (/mac/sys/System Folder) but that simply causes
my machine to crash when the new system folder tries to load it's contents. I
have tried in both 32 bit mode and 24 bit mode but to no successful end.

Another problem is that you apparently cannot install from a floppy disk (as
you MUST with many installation processes) because when you start up from a
floppy, the A/UX partition of the hard disk is not mounted and thus not visible.
As if that was not enough...the floppy disk cannot be made the startup disk
because it cannot change systems whilst running under multifinder - you
must start up under the special A/UX multifinder, you simply don't have
the 'finder only' choice.

Also since all my filed QuickMail messages exist in my original system folder
i'm faced with the problem that even if QuickMail could be installed in
the new /mac/sys/System Folder, I would have a seperated database of my mail
messages which is not convienient.

Is there anyone out there who can give expert advise to these points i'm having
extream difficulty finding help in the country (The Netherlands).

Please mail responses to morgan@riks.nl as well as any reply postings,

Thanks in advance to all those who reply.

Chris Morgan
morgan@riks.nl

mst@ms.secs.csun.edu (Mike Temkin) (02/16/91)

In article <18009@slice.ooc.uva.nl> morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes
>Also since all my filed QuickMail messages exist in my original system folder
>i'm faced with the problem that even if QuickMail could be installed in
>the new /mac/sys/System Folder, I would have a seperated database of my mail
>messages which is not convienient.
>
>Is there anyone out there who can give expert advise to these points i'm having
>extream difficulty finding help in the country (The Netherlands).
>
>Chris Morgan
>morgan@riks.nl

It seems like CE is playing the same game as Microsoft.  We are running
Microsoft Mail to our EXTREME dismay and cannot get any support from MS
regarding MSmail and A/UX.  I called them up and talked to their support
people who kindly informed me that Microsoft will not be porting their
client software to A/UX until they can get a server running under A/UX
first.  Talk about bone jaring stupidity!

Companies like this should realize how many customers they will lose
from their lack of support.  Making the MS Mail DA and INIT 32 bit
clean should not be too difficult (after all, they *did* follow the
Apple guidelines, *didn't* they?).  Also, I really don't care to waste
an A/UX machine by making it run MS Mail in the background.  That is what
my old Pluses and SEs are for :-).  Anyway, I hope CE does a better job
than Microsoft at this type of support (lord knows they can't do any worse)!

Mike.
#include<disclaimer.h>

--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb15.192334.9737@csun.edu> mst@ms.secs.csun.edu (Mike
Temkin) writes:
> In article <18009@slice.ooc.uva.nl> morgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris
Morgan/RIKS) writes
> >Also since all my filed QuickMail messages exist in my original system
folder
> >i'm faced with the problem that even if QuickMail could be installed in
> >the new /mac/sys/System Folder, I would have a seperated database of my
mail
> >messages which is not convienient.
> >
> >Is there anyone out there who can give expert advise to these points
i'm having
> >extream difficulty finding help in the country (The Netherlands).
> >
> >Chris Morgan
> >morgan@riks.nl
>
> It seems like CE is playing the same game as Microsoft.  We are running
> Microsoft Mail to our EXTREME dismay and cannot get any support from MS
> regarding MSmail and A/UX.

The 2/12/91 issue of MacWeek has an article that says that QuickMail 2.5
will run under A/UX and System 7.0. Actually, the article mostly talks
about it running on PCs on PC LANs and mentions A/UX only in passing, but
we've been talking to CE Software for a while about running QuickMail
under A/UX. They assured us that A/UX compatibility would be in the next
release, without specifying exactly when that release would be. I had
expected version 2.5 to ship by March, but the article seems to indicate
that it won't ship until this summer.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) (02/19/91)

I don't see why Microsoft Mail or QuickMail shouldn't just run under
A/UX as is.  All applications should have been made 32-bit clean years
ago after the Mac II came out. The problem is, like Mike said, is that
some companies like Microsoft just don't follow the rules.
I love all of Microsoft's products. They are all terrific minus the fact
that they don't follow Apple programming guidelines. I've heard stories
about Apple having to change System software to get Excel or Word to
work correctly!
I vote that Microsoft and all software companies should follow the
rules. The toolbox is infinitely flexible, but upward compatibility
won't be if the rules are broken.

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) (02/19/91)

jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) writes:

>I don't see why Microsoft Mail or QuickMail shouldn't just run under
>A/UX as is.  All applications should have been made 32-bit clean years
>ago after the Mac II came out. The problem is, like Mike said, is that
>some companies like Microsoft just don't follow the rules.
>I love all of Microsoft's products. They are all terrific minus the fact
>that they don't follow Apple programming guidelines. I've heard stories
>about Apple having to change System software to get Excel or Word to
>work correctly!
>I vote that Microsoft and all software companies should follow the
>rules. The toolbox is infinitely flexible, but upward compatibility
>won't be if the rules are broken.

I understand there have been debate about merits on either side of the fence.
All I wnat to say is, do software companies include Apple? Because no one
told them about it when they wrote HyperCard (Human Interface Guidelines) or
A/UX 2.0, where it assumed the presence of an FPU on all '030 machines. :)

--
****  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au