[comp.sys.mac.apps] Wordperfect 2.0 DOS compatibility

dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu (02/15/91)

I am interested in hearing compatable Wordperfect 2.0 for the Mac is with Dos
version.  For example, can one directly read a Dos Wordperfect file off of
a Mac Dos drive?

Although my primary concern is file level compatibilty, I'd also like to hear
about users switching between Mac and Dos versions.  Is there a big difference
in the user interface?

Dirk Herr-Hoyman
UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
608-262-6368

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb14.174336.12324@macc.wisc.edu>, dhoyman@vms.macc.wisc.edu writes:
> I am interested in hearing compatable Wordperfect 2.0 for the Mac is with Dos
> version.  For example, can one directly read a Dos Wordperfect file off of
> a Mac Dos drive?
>
> Although my primary concern is file level compatibilty, I'd also like to hear
> about users switching between Mac and Dos versions.  Is there a big difference
> in the user interface?
>
> Dirk Herr-Hoyman
> UW-Madison, Dept. of Family Medicine and Practice
> dhoyman@fammed.wisc.edu
> 608-262-6368

The DOS version _has_ an interface? ;-)

> can one directly read a Dos Wordperfect file off of a Mac Dos drive?

What do you mean by "Mac Dos drive"?
If what you mean is "Mac high density drive", then:

Yes and no.  If you have Insignia's AccessPC then you can read
the doc right off the DOS floppy in the Mac HD drive otherwise
you will have to use Apple File Exchange to get the DOS file onto
your hard disk.  Reading it into WordPerfect requires conversion.
Luckily WP 2.0 comes with the required translators to read ( and
write ) WP 5.x documents.  With these installed, you just select
the normal open dialog box, choose Show "Known Imports" and your
WP 5.x documents will appear in the list.

WP 2.0 has a full Macintosh interface, however, you will occasionally
be required to revert to the dreaded "Show Codes" due to WP's
insistance on carrying on this outdated method of formatting text.
I had heard it claimed that with WP 2.0 it is essentially unnecessary
to use "Show Codes", however, once I got WP 2.0 out of the box,
within 2 minutes I was in a situation that could only be corrected
by a soujourn into "Show Codes".

One really neat thing about 2.0: when you're in a Save/Open etc.
dialog box, it's movable and non-modal wrt. Multifinder, ie. you
can switch to another app. even if the dialog box is still open.
I thought it was a nice touch.

Andy.

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca