[comp.sys.mac.apps] More on the application startup order problem

pac@stl.stc.co.uk (02/20/91)

OK, I've tried the various techniques to change the start-up order,
but nothing seems to work. Here's the problem...

2 documents labelled "word startup" and "unix". The first is a
Word 4 document and the second an NCSA Telnet 2.3 document. I want
"unix" to be the active window after rebooting.  As advised I
selected both documents, chose Selected Items from the Set Startup...
menu, rebooted, and "word startup" was the active window.

Then I changed the name of "word startup" to "a word startup",
again selected it and "unix", made them the startup items, rebooted,
and guess what -- "a word startup" was STILL the active window.

Changing the name of the application, rather than the document,
made no difference.

Is this just a quirk of Word 4?
Regards,
	Paul Cooper (P.A.Cooper@stl.stc.co.uk)
	(perhaps soon to become 50% ICL(UK) and 50% ICL Europe)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (02/22/91)

In article <4071@stl.stc.co.uk> pac@stl.stc.co.uk writes:
> OK, I've tried the various techniques to change the start-up order,
> but nothing seems to work.

You've been playing with the names of things, trying to alphabetize them.
That only works for INITs.

Try playing with the order in which you select them. Select the one you
want opened first; then shift-click to add the one you want opened second.
If that doesn't work, try it the other way 'round. I've gotten the desired
results by doing this, though I can never remember which order to do it in.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."