[comp.sys.mac.apps] WordPerfect

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (02/19/91)

I am using WP 2.0 on a MacIIci with an Apple extended keyboard. How can I get
the numeric keypad to work? Currently, in WP when I type something on the
numeric keypad, what I get is nothing types to the WP window, but it seems to
be doing control chars - moving the current cursor around and etc.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

  ---jon---

norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) (02/19/91)

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:

>I am using WP 2.0 on a MacIIci with an Apple extended keyboard. How can I get
>the numeric keypad to work? Currently, in WP when I type something on the
>numeric keypad, what I get is nothing types to the WP window, but it seems to
>be doing control chars - moving the current cursor around and etc.

>Thanks in advance for suggestions.

>  ---jon---

Have you tried pressing the "num lock" on the numerical keypad? Also you may
like to try Preferences and go to the custom keyboard.

What do you think of the product? I just saw it yesterday and was generally
happy about it. It looks like a cousin to Nisus IMHO, but lacks some features
that Word, it's main rival, still does "easily". As it stands, 2.1 is going
to address these problems. I was impressed with WordPerfect however, and I
think they'll do a good job. According to them, whenever they start a new
platform, they make the product compatible with v4.2 and work from there. I
still think they deserved the bashing for 1.0 no matter how justified they
seem. At least they're upgrading all 1.0-1.03 users to 2.0 for free...
Incidentally, about that v4.2 compatible stuff, it's true on all platforms
except Windows 3.0, that is :)

--
****  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (02/20/91)

In article <norton.666963979@extro> norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton
Chia) writes:
> sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:
>
> >I am using WP 2.0 on a MacIIci with an Apple extended keyboard. How can
I get
> >the numeric keypad to work?
>
> Have you tried pressing the "num lock" on the numerical keypad? Also you
may
> like to try Preferences and go to the custom keyboard.

There's a magic key sequence that turns the keypad into a keypad, instead
of a bunch of control keys. I think it's shift-num lock or command-num
lock. When you find it, it displays a '#" in the status line at the bottom
of the screen. After you've set the keypad the way it should be, save your
settings in the Environment submenu in the File menu. This effects only
the main window of any file; if you open a "text box" (sidebar), you'll
have to enter the magic sequence again to make the keypad into a keypad
within the sidebar.

> At least they're upgrading all 1.0-1.03 users to 2.0 for free...

Where did you hear that? According to MacWeek (1/22, page 6), they're
charging $89 for upgrades from version 1.0.x.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca (Andy Babinszki) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.021005.13948@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:
> I am using WP 2.0 on a MacIIci with an Apple extended keyboard. How can I get
> the numeric keypad to work? Currently, in WP when I type something on the
> numeric keypad, what I get is nothing types to the WP window, but it seems to
> be doing control chars - moving the current cursor around and etc.
>
> Thanks in advance for suggestions.
>
>   ---jon---

 You can go in and re-assign most of the keypad keys, but WP won't
 let you re-assign 5 or 7 on the keypad so it doesn't help much:

 File Menu::Preferences::Keyboards::Characters

 then click on 1, 2, etc. and hit the numeric keypad key to which
 you want to assign the chars "1", "2", ...

 but as I said above it doesn't work for keypad 5 & 7 so its of
 little use.

 Andy.

Andy Babinszki - andyb@tardis.wimsey.bc.ca

dnmiller@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (David Neal Miller) (02/22/91)

In article <norton.666963979@extro> norton@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Norton Chia) writes:
>sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:
>
>[. . .]  At least they're upgrading all 1.0-1.03 users to 2.0 for free...
>Incidentally, about that v4.2 compatible stuff, it's true on all platforms
>except Windows 3.0, that is :)

I share your good opinion of WordPerfect 2.0, and think it's worth
the $75 (original) or $85 (current) upgrade fee.  If there is/was
an offer for free upgrades, I'd really be grateful for details.

--
David Neal Miller
miller.3@osu.edu (Internet)