[comp.sys.mac.apps] MSWord - problems with TOC & colons

pxw@augean.ua.OZ.AU (Paul Whitbread) (02/22/91)

I am compliling the table of Figures for my thesis. MSWord manual suggests
my figure captions should be preceded by a level 9 table-of-contents entry.
When I compile TOC I simply ask for only level 9 to be shown. It worked!

Yesterday I decided that I would like to change the captions to read
 Figure 2.1:   Stucture of the widget
The change: before I had a full stop after the fig number, now I have a colon.

Now, all I get in the TOC is ''Figure 2.1``  ie no words after the colon.
Is this a bug or a feature??  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong/how
to get around it?

Cheers
Paul Whitbread

My apologies to aus readers who would have seen this already on aus distribut'n

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (02/22/91)

:
:Now, all I get in the TOC is ''Figure 2.1``  ie no words after the colon.
:Is this a bug or a feature??  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong/how
:to get around it?

having Read TFM it seems that you would have  a problem if you
tried to put a _semi_ colon in the figure caption, but a colon
ought to be ok.

Anyway, I always thought that hidden .c. crap was for die hard pc'ers.
Try using the level9 style and compiling your table of contents with
"collect outline" checked instead of ".C." One way to gain acess to the
level9 style is to hold down the shift key while choosing the styles command.

If that doesn't work try putting the whole entry in single quotes
(hidden, of course).  That is what you need to do to put a semi-colon
in a toc or index entry.  If that is what you need to do you might reconsider
how badly you want that colon :-(

oh, just one more thing...
it also may be that your entry is being 'tabbed' off of the end of the
page.  If that were the case I think you would get no page number in
the toc, but it might not hurt to try putting an extra tab stop in
the toc9 style definition.

--
-george            george@mech.seas.upenn.edu

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (02/23/91)

pxw@augean.ua.OZ.AU (Paul Whitbread) writes:

>When I compile TOC I simply ask for only level 9 to be shown. It worked!
>Yesterday I decided that I would like to change the captions to read
> Figure 2.1:   Stucture of the widget
>The change: before I had a full stop after the fig number, now I have a colon.
>Now, all I get in the TOC is ''Figure 2.1``  ie no words after the colon.

This is a "Feature".  Subentry levels are designated by separating
the text for each level with a colon.  For example:
   .c.Auction Catalog:Silent Auction:Auction Items;
Word adds the page number and leader tab only to the last level entry,
in this case Auction Items.
If you want to include an end-of-entry character as part of your
table of contents entry text, surround the entry text with
single quotation marks.  For example:
   .c.'Auction Catalog: Item List';
[end quote from manual Table Of Contents]

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    klefstad@uiuc.edu