[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word crashes whenever it wants.

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) (02/20/91)

Is it me or is it Microsoft?

How come it seems that MS Word just randomly crashes whenever you do
something innocuous like move the mouse or change the font?

It can't be memory constaints because everything here has at least 2.5M
to play with.  It works normally with the INITs we have installed for
weeks at a time (Broadcast, Temperament I, Responder, Facade, SuperClock)
and then just crashes for no apparent reason.

Reason I'm asking is so I can give a better answer to people when they
ask me why their 10 page paper is suddenly gone.

Is it Apple's buggy System 6.04?  Is it MS's bad coding?  Is it sunspots?

Just what is the answer! :)

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (02/20/91)

You don't mention having checked for viruses. Although I don't
think it's generally a good idea to get too paranoid about them
for every single thing that may go wrong, unexplained crashes
while accessing a menu to change a font or something sounds to
me like it could be something like WDEF. If you haven't checked
for it lately do so with Disinfectant 2.4 or some other up-to-date
virus software.

Another thing you can try for unexplained word crashes is to trash
the file in your System folder called "Word Settings (4)". Getting
rid of this settings file (Word will make a new one for you the next
time you use the program) is one of those great magical/mystical
things to do that has no actual proof of salutory effect, but do it
anyway 'cuz it will probably make you feel better because you're
taking charge and doing something. You could also just replace the
whole Word program while you're at it too; this is true for any
program, it can sometimes get damaged in the course of a bomb or
crash, loading in a fresh copy sometimes helps.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

mdresser@pbs.org (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb19.133434.7866@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
> Is it me or is it Microsoft?
>
> How come it seems that MS Word just randomly crashes whenever you do
> something innocuous like move the mouse or change the font?
>
> It can't be memory constaints because everything here has at least 2.5M
> to play with.  It works normally with the INITs we have installed for
> weeks at a time (Broadcast, Temperament I, Responder, Facade, SuperClock)
> and then just crashes for no apparent reason.
>
> Reason I'm asking is so I can give a better answer to people when they
> ask me why their 10 page paper is suddenly gone.
>
> Is it Apple's buggy System 6.04?  Is it MS's bad coding?  Is it sunspots?
>
> Just what is the answer! :)
>
> --
> Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
> Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet
> Nuke a Godless, Communist, | Pick and choose!     gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu
> gay whale for Christ.      |                      gross@miavax.ir.miami.edu
>               - Anonymous  |                     jgross@umbio.med.miami.edu
>                The University of Miami has a lovely fountain.

There are several things you can try to solve the
problem.

do these for sure:
Check for virus (with a recent/updated virus program)
rebuild your desktop
throw away the Word settings file in the system folder
	(I'd throw away setting first, but would do
	all three)

these wouldn't be a bad idea:
upgrade to system 6.0.5 or better
reinstall the Word program, yours may be corrupted
check your version of Word (theres a 4.0b available, though
    we are still on 4.0 here and have no problems)
is this happening mostly when accessing fonts?  maybe you
have font numbering conflicts - if so, try harmonizing them.

by the way, if someone typed 10 pages without ever saving
they deserved to lose it. (just my opinion :-))

Melanie Dresser
Melanie L. Dresser	mdresser@pbs.org
    Bruce   = Faithful Companion		human	male
    Max     = Noisy, mouthy, siamese		feline  male
    Aravis  = Quiet, neurotic siamese		feline  female
    Tristan = Big, silly German Shepherd 	canine  male
    Quest   = Trusty steed  -  Appaloosa	equine  male
********"Is it expensive?  I got a horse ta feed, ya know"*****