[comp.sys.mac.apps] MS EXCEL memory setting

bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) (02/20/91)

Under Multifinder, I have tried to change the memory setting for MS Excel
from the default of 512k.  But then when I try to run it, it doesn't boot
the application.  I tried the sizes 768k and 1024 but get error msgs (sorry,
I don't recall exactly what the msg said).

Is it possible to change the memory allocated to Excel under Multifinder?
If so, what sizes are permissible?

--Bruce
--
*** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
Bruce Holm                  /  (503) 626-7000

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (02/21/91)

bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:

>Under Multifinder, I have tried to change the memory setting for MS Excel
>from the default of 512k.  But then when I try to run it, it doesn't boot
>the application.  I tried the sizes 768k and 1024 but get error msgs (sorry,
>I don't recall exactly what the msg said).

>Is it possible to change the memory allocated to Excel under Multifinder?

I haven't had any problem changing the memory req. to 1024. I notice from
your other posting that you have a IIci. Make sure your excel is version
2.2a in order to run properly with your IIci.
--
Dana E. Keil                Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of California, Berkeley                      dana@are.berkeley.edu

mdresser@pbs.org (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb20.021408.4402@mentorg.com>, bruceh@mentorg.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
> Under Multifinder, I have tried to change the memory setting for MS Excel
> from the default of 512k.  But then when I try to run it, it doesn't boot
> the application.  I tried the sizes 768k and 1024 but get error msgs (sorry,
> I don't recall exactly what the msg said).
>
> Is it possible to change the memory allocated to Excel under Multifinder?
> If so, what sizes are permissible?
>
> --Bruce
> --
> *** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
> Bruce Holm                  /  (503) 626-7000
> Mentor Graphics Corp.      /  USENET: bruce_holm@mentorg.com
> Beaverton, OR 97005-7191  /  UUCP: ...!uunet!mntgfx!bruce_holm

I'm not sure where you're having the trouble.  I usually have
Excel set at 1024, and with some really big spreadsheets I've
set it to 2048. Make sure you have quit Excel before you change
(actually I don't think it will let you until you do) do a get
info and change the application memory size.  This has always
worked fine with multifinder. What version of Excel are you
using?  2.2?  Make sure you have enough memory on your Mac
to support the extra your giving to Excel.

Melanie Dresser

Melanie L. Dresser	mdresser@pbs.org
    Bruce   = Faithful Companion		human	male
    Max     = Noisy, mouthy, siamese		feline  male
    Aravis  = Quiet, neurotic siamese		feline  female
    Tristan = Big, silly German Shepherd 	canine  male
    Quest   = Trusty steed  -  Appaloosa	equine  male
********"Is it expensive?  I got a horse ta feed, ya know"*****