[comp.sys.mac.apps] Two FullWrite Questions

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/08/91)

I've got a couple questions about FullWrite Professional:

1.	As I type this I'm in the process of translating a fairly
	large Word document into FullWrite format.  The document is
	about 270 pages long and includes around 280 footnotes.
	I first saved the file out of Word 4.0 into Word 3.0 format,
	then opened it in FullWrite.  At this writing, the conversion
	has been in progress for 1.25 hours.  I don't believe that the
	machine has hung, since the watch continues to spin and the
	"Converting Document...~ message blinks every now and then.
	My question is: Is this normal FullWrite behavior?

2.	I recently recieved an offer from Ashton-Tate to upgrade my
	copy of FullWrite v1.1 to v1.5 for $49.  What is the opinion
	of other FullWrite users-is the upgrade worth the $50?

I should point out that the machine the conversion is running on is a
Mac IIx.  It is under MultiFinder, but nothing else is running on the
machine.  FullWrite is running in a 3.5 megabyte partition.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/13/91)

In article <3234@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>I've got a couple questions about FullWrite Professional:
>
>1.	As I type this I'm in the process of translating a fairly
>	large Word document into FullWrite format.  The document is
>	about 270 pages long and includes around 280 footnotes.
>	At this writing, the conversion
>	has been in progress for 1.25 hours.
>	My question is: Is this normal FullWrite behavior?

The conversion finished in 1.5 hours wihout problems.

>2.	I recently recieved an offer from Ashton-Tate to upgrade my
>	copy of FullWrite v1.1 to v1.5 for $49.  What is the opinion
>	of other FullWrite users-is the upgrade worth the $50?

I was actually hoping for more information than I have gotten [most of the
question about the v1.5 upgrade.

On my SE/30 [and even on a IIci] FullWrite is quite slow.  Does 1.5 improve
this?

chaz

--

userTEWI@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Tim Williams) (02/18/91)

In article <3234@ux.acs.umn.edu>, clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>        My question is: Is this normal FullWrite behavior?
>
>        is the upgrade worth the $50?
Chaz-
     Fullwrite is infamously slow, especially on 68000-based
machines, but there is something wrong if it is taking over an hour.
How much memory do you have? Many of my problems with FW disappear-
ed when I ungraded to 4 megs. Also the version you have is very
buggy -- note its reviews in the Mac Bible, Macworld etc. Get the
upgrade, but insist in getting version 2.0, not 1.5. 2.0 is still
slow, but it's stable. However, the conversions software it comes
bundled with is not. I upgraded from 1.1 to 2.0 for 59 bucks (US).

userTEWI@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (unknown) (02/20/91)

>get the upgrade, but insist on version 2.0
OOOps.....my mistake. I just loked at my FullWrite boxes, and the
newest version is 1.5.
     I started out with version 1.0, and upgraded to 1.5 (skipping
version 1.1). There isn't a version 2.0......yet. Sorry for the
confusion.

ric@netcom.COM (Richard Bretscheider) (02/24/91)

userTEWI@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (unknown) writes:

>>get the upgrade, but insist on version 2.0
>OOOps.....my mistake. I just loked at my FullWrite boxes, and the
>newest version is 1.5.
>     I started out with version 1.0, and upgraded to 1.5 (skipping
>version 1.1). There isn't a version 2.0......yet. Sorry for the
>confusion.

Actually, the latest version is 1.5s (allows sound notes with Apple's
new sound manager.)  It also fixes the inevitable bug or two....

Ric Bretschneider
Ashton-Tate Project Manager/Dweeb
"...no, I don't work on FullWrite, or dBASE."

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider