[comp.sys.mac.apps] Macintosh Form Fill-out software

jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) (02/26/91)

Greetings.  We are looking to find a good Macintosh form fill-in package.
We went out and evaluated a number of products after we were told that
Claris was de-emphasizing SmartForms, which we had been considering purchasing
for wide spread use in our facility.  We eventually settled on True Forms
by Adobe, which as of version 2.1 seems really ideal for our needs, and after
several months of discussion and so on, we were all set to pay $3000 for a
multiple-user license, and we'd standardize on the software throughout our
facility.

Then Adobe called up and let us know that the forms market wasn't turning
out as well as they thought it would when they licensed the software, and
they were dropping development on it, and were not willing to guarantee that
the software would work on System 7.0.  <Argh>

So the question I put to the net is this:  Are there really any alternative
packages out there?  The True Forms software is really ideal, and we thought
we couldn't hope to find a more stable company, but..

All other packages I've seen don't really have such great fill out software,
which is our main use for the package.  Any recommendations/commisserations
would be welcome.

Jonathan David Abbey              \"I am stronger than the passing time" -Frost
the university of texas at austin  \  jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu  "Does any of this
computer science/math?/psychology?  \ (512) 472-2052           make sense?" -Me

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (02/26/91)

In article <215@atacama.cs.utexas.edu> jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) writes:
>Greetings.  We are looking to find a good Macintosh form fill-in package.
>We went out and evaluated a number of products after we were told that
...more about forms and that it would not work with system 7.0
>the software would work on System 7.0.  <Argh>
...etc...

>So the question I put to the net is this:  Are there really any alternative
>packages out there?  The True Forms software is really ideal, and we thought
>we couldn't hope to find a more stable company, but..

Shana Corporation of Edmonton (developers of the Inside Out program) has a
suite of programs called Informed Designer, Informed Manager, and
Informed AutoForm.  Informed Manager is a form-filling program, and the others
give you design and mass questionnaire facilities.  It has been developed for
System 7.0 and is being released (read: shipped to dealers) tomorrow.
They offer site licensing deals.

Call Sue Daniels, Market Development Manager, Shana Corporation, Edmonton,
Alberta, Canada,  at 403/463-3330 for more information, or use AppleLink
CDA004.

Disclaimer: Sue "I love vegemite" Daniels is my wife, and I was impressed
by the Informed programs.

W. Simon Tortike,                   | tel     : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical       | fax     : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,    |
University of Alberta,              | CA*net  : simon@mmpe.mineral.UAlberta.CA
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.       | NeXTmail: simon@nawab.mineral.UAlberta.CA