[comp.sys.mac.apps] LOGO

worden@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (elizabeth worden) (02/18/91)

I have an old LOGO 1.0 put out by Microsoft.  What is current for LOGO?
Is Microsoft the recommended version?  Or are there other, more favored
versions?

Thanks!

kenh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Ken Hillen) (02/20/91)

In article <worden.666835845@copper> worden@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (elizabeth worden) writes:
>I have an old LOGO 1.0 put out by Microsoft.  What is current for LOGO?
>Is Microsoft the recommended version?  Or are there other, more favored
>versions?
>
>Thanks!

Microsoft only marketed that program for a short time.  It was written by some
company in Canada.  After Microsoft dropped it, the company in Canada provided
technical support for the product for a short time and then dropped that too.
They still exist, but are only doing Apple // and PC products.

There are now a number of LOGOs on the market.  One to look at is Object LOGO
by Paradigm Software (617) 576-7675.  I don't have it, but it has a lot of nice
features including color support, sound support, etc.

Good Luck.

Ken Hillen

kenh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Ken Hillen) (02/27/91)

> Another popular (and supported Logo) is from LCSI. The product is
> new and so I don't know how good it is. LCSI is the other big Logo
> company and so you can expect good product from them.

LCSI brought out MacLOGO several years ago, and then dropped it. They have just
brought out (in the last few weeks) a package for the Mac called LogoWriter
which includes a word processor and is sold (at this time) only in school packs.
This is their first Mac product that I am aware of since MacLogo.  I do not
know how good their support has been on Apple// and IBM products.  They are not
offering an upgrade to LogoWriter for purchasers of MacLogo.

Ken Hillen
/* Standard disclaimers apply */

guzdial@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Mark Guzdial) (02/27/91)

There are two Macintosh Logo's currently available, and a third to be
released soon.  Terrapin's Logo for the Macintosh is based on the
original MIT Logo for the Apple II.  Terrapin is located in Maine
(somewhere) now.  Coral's Object Logo uses the LCSI syntax (as opposed
to the Terrapin syntax) but extends it with objects.  Apple bought out
Coral, but sold off the Object Logo to a new firm whose name I've
forgotten.  APDA could probably give you the new name.  Finally, LCSI
has announced a version of their LogoWriter product (Logo with a
built-in word-processor) for the Macintosh.