[comp.sys.mac.apps] Mac PostScript documents printing in Unix LAN

vutien@secto.cenatls.cena.dgac.fr (Vutien CAP SESA - TDV) (02/25/91)

We have <ONE> Mac II ci isolated among a set of 12 SUNs on a LAN, with a
LaserWriter Plus on a SUN server. We would like to print Mac documents created
with Word 4.

1) We tried making PS files (using LaserFix) and transfered it by 1.4 Mb disk
	to a SUN then print it. The LaserWriter blinked for a while and spitted
	out a blank page (the document was supposed to be 10 pages long)
	Anybody knows why ?

2) Once this question solved, the best think would be to
	 hook-up this Mac to the network. What are the
	hardware and software required to have access from the Mac to the
	NFS and send this PS file ? and to have access to mail and news ?

Thank you for your hints and tips.

sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb25.103019.9050@cenatls.cena.dgac.fr>
vutien@secto.cenatls.cena.dgac.fr (Vutien CAP SESA - TDV) writes:
>We have <ONE> Mac II ci isolated among a set of 12 SUNs on a LAN, with a
>LaserWriter Plus on a SUN server. We would like to print Mac documents created
>with Word 4.
>2) Once this question solved, the best think would be to
>         hook-up this Mac to the network. What are the
>        hardware and software required to have access from the Mac to the
>        NFS and send this PS file ? and to have access to mail and news ?

I have a very similar situation - a few macs in a sun dominated environment.
Our setup consists of the following:

Hardware: An ethernet, with the macs connected directly through it by ethernet
cards.

For printing to UNIX based laserwriters:
CAP software running on the suns, in the uab version which does not require a
Kinetics gateway. Source: rutgers.rutgers.edu

For using the UNIX boxes as fileservers:
CAP (again), and appleshare client software on the macs (which is part of the
later system distributions).

For mail on the macs:
Eudora or other POP client software on the macs, popper POPserver running on
one of the suns. Source: ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, the mac/eudora subdirectory (Eudora
1.1, there is an imminent 1.2 release on its way, available in beta form in the
mac/eudora/beta subdirectory, I believe). lilac.berkeley.edu (popper 1.7. Easy
to install, max. 10 minutes).

For news on the mcx:
TheNews, an nntp client. Needs nntp server software on one of the other hosts.
Source: sumex-aim.stanford.edu, info-mac/comm (?) subdirectory.

Best of luck,

SIgurd Meldal