[comp.sys.mac.apps] HP deskwriter 9 pt. Courier

merlyn@digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) (02/27/91)

The subject line says it, pretty much.  HP's Monaco replacement font
Courier does not print out the underscore character in 9 point.
12 point works, strangely enough.  Removing the font from the Deskwriter
Fonts folder works too, because then it just uses the Mac's Monaco font.
(but then it doesn't look as good or prints as dark as Courier).

Has anyone hacked HP's Courier font to print an underscore?  If not, I'll
try to fix it and post any results.  I haven't looked at it too much,
but it isn't a resource, just a data file.  Doesn't look encrypted.

---
Merlyn LeRoy

merlyn@digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) (02/27/91)

Thanks to email from a couple of people, the underscore problem
is solved (at least for Think C, which doesn't print ANY underscores
in Monaco 9 when turned into Courier on the HP DeskWriter).  Just
selecting the Courier font, instead of Monaco, fixes things.

The underscore vanishing is a roundoff problem, and Think C happened
to hit a pathological case where it would vanish for every line of text.

---
Merlyn LeRoy

ron@cai.uucp (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.162756.22160@digibd.com> merlyn@digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) writes:
>The subject line says it, pretty much.  HP's Monaco replacement font
>Courier does not print out the underscore character in 9 point.
>12 point works, strangely enough.  Removing the font from the Deskwriter
>Fonts folder works too, because then it just uses the Mac's Monaco font.
>(but then it doesn't look as good or prints as dark as Courier).
>
>Has anyone hacked HP's Courier font to print an underscore?  If not, I'll
>try to fix it and post any results.  I haven't looked at it too much,
>but it isn't a resource, just a data file.  Doesn't look encrypted.
>
>---
>Merlyn LeRoy

I noticed a similer problem when printing a program listing from Think C ver. 4.0.  All my #defines that had an underscore in them were coming out as two seperate words.