[comp.sys.mac.apps] Mac equivalent to UNIX make

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (02/27/91)

Does anything exist which gives at least some of the functionality
of the UNIX "make" utility, but under the Mac environment (i.e.,
not just a programming environment under the Mac interface)?

My problem is that I write a large number of courses and technical
papers which use graphics.  Normally, I create slides in
MacDraw II 1.1, and then paste them, with some reduction, into
Word 4.0 documents.  At present, I do the reduction with Word,
but I'd be willing to create the graphics as the exact size.

What I'd like to do is something more than a hot-link facility
between Word and MD II, although that in itself would be very
helpful.  My REAL goal is something like the following scenario:

  I create a graphic (in slide form) in MDII 1.1.  Let's
  assume this is of the Politically Correct OSI Seven-Layer
  Reference Model.

  I include this slide in an introductory course, creating
  the slide border using the MDII Master Slide facility.

  I copy the contents of the slide (i.e., not the border) into
  Word via the Clipboard under Multifinder.

  --- ENDS what I do now...how I'd like to go on is...

  In a different slide presentation, establish a pointer to the
  slide in the first (i.e., a library reference).

  Show a make-like dependency of the second presentation on a graphic
  (ideally the specific graphic) in the first set of slides.

  Show a dependency of the first Word document on the above graphic
  Create a second Word document; show its dependency on the graphic.

  On modifying the base graphic, at least get a list of places I
  need to change.  Ideally, some of those places would then import
  it, ala hot link.

--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (02/27/91)

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:

>Does anything exist which gives at least some of the functionality
>of the UNIX "make" utility, but under the Mac environment (i.e.,
>not just a programming environment under the Mac interface)?

>My problem is that I write a large number of courses and technical
>papers which use graphics.  Normally, I create slides in
>MacDraw II 1.1, and then paste them, with some reduction, into
>Word 4.0 documents.  At present, I do the reduction with Word,
>but I'd be willing to create the graphics as the exact size.

>What I'd like to do is something more than a hot-link facility
>between Word and MD II, although that in itself would be very
>helpful.  My REAL goal is something like the following scenario:

>  I create a graphic (in slide form) in MDII 1.1.  Let's
>  assume this is of the Politically Correct OSI Seven-Layer
>  Reference Model.

>  I include this slide in an introductory course, creating
>  the slide border using the MDII Master Slide facility.

>  I copy the contents of the slide (i.e., not the border) into
>  Word via the Clipboard under Multifinder.

>  --- ENDS what I do now...how I'd like to go on is...

>  In a different slide presentation, establish a pointer to the
>  slide in the first (i.e., a library reference).

>  Show a make-like dependency of the second presentation on a graphic
>  (ideally the specific graphic) in the first set of slides.

>  Show a dependency of the first Word document on the above graphic
>  Create a second Word document; show its dependency on the graphic.

>  On modifying the base graphic, at least get a list of places I
>  need to change.  Ideally, some of those places would then import
>  it, ala hot link.

>--
>howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
>(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]
>DISCLAIMER:  Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the Corporation
>for Open Systems, its members, or any standards body.

The only thing I know of that even comes close to doing what you want is
PageMaker 4.0
It hot-links to anything you place on a layout, be it graphics or text, and
updates them when you do.  It doesn't 'show' dependencies, except that in
a dialog box you can see what each item is linked to.
If you have questions, email me.

Dan Walkowski
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu

schimmel@countach.gatech.edu (David E. Schimmel) (02/28/91)

In article <43950@cos.com> howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) writes:
>Does anything exist which gives at least some of the functionality
>of the UNIX "make" utility, but under the Mac environment (i.e.,
>not just a programming environment under the Mac interface)?
[...]
>What I'd like to do is something more than a hot-link facility
>between Word and MD II, although that in itself would be very
>helpful.  My REAL goal is something like the following scenario:

[...]

I believe Framemaker does what you want. It does this by allowing you
to include another document by "value" or by "reference." The included
document could itself refer to other documents, or include your MacDraw
II stuff (only by value). Furthermore, it gives you integrated drawing,
equations, cross-referencing, etc.

Disclaimer: I've just begun to check out FM, so I certainly am not aware
of all the possible pitfalls, trade-offs etc. I will say that it is a beast
requiring lots of memory, disk-space, and cpu speed to run acceptably.

BTW, there are versions of FM on many platforms, so compatibility is less
of an issue.  Also, educational pricing (for the Mac) is currently $495,
but they (Frame Technology) have a $100 rebate coupon you can get by
calling them and asking for it (through April 1).

Dave