[comp.sys.mac.apps] Help with Imagine?

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (02/28/91)

I just got a copy of the shareware program Imagine, which looks like a
(possibly) very nice image processing program.  However, it has no
external documentation, just an on-line help facility that doesn't
work--it gives "file not found" errors.  It does NOT ask me where the
missing file is.

BTW, the interface and operations are non-obvious; I really do need
SOME documentation or help to use the program.

I have a text document with it in an not-very-readible format entitled
something like "Imagine help."  Almost certainly this is the file it
wants and can't find (and doesn't ask me about).  Probably this file
has been renamed, or needs to be in a subfolder with a particular
name, or some such.  It does NOT work with the help file (1) in the
same folder as Imagine, or (2) in the System Folder.  Double-clicking
on the help file doesn't work--it's just text, and if it ever had a
special creator, it doesn't now.

Does anyone have this program with a working help system?  If so, what
is the exact configuration (what is the help file named, what folder
is it in, what are it's 4-letter codes)?  If not, is there something
obvious to try that I've overlooked?

a T d H v A a N n K c S e

PS  The program is Imagine, not Image;  I also just got Image, it
looks similar but weaker....and has no help system or docs at all.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |

suarez@aquarius.as.arizona.edu (Jose Suarez) (02/28/91)

In article <16644@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

>I just got a copy of the shareware program Imagine...

I talked to the author of Imagine several weeks ago.  The progr's gone
commercial, and it's *really* expensive.  I don't imagine (forgive the pun)
you'll see any more shareware versions of it.

A note about Image:  it may seem weaker (as David said), but really, it's not.
The difference is that the author, Wayne Rasband, is very helpful.  If there's
something you need to do that isn't obvious or just isn't done by Image,
he'll either tell you how to do it, or maybe he'll write a macro for you.

It's Image's macro capability that makes up for it on-the-surface weakness.
(And they're not that difficult to write for yourself if you know Pascal.)

-- Jose

--
=========  Jose Suarez               Internet:  suarez@as.arizona.edu  =========
=========  Steward Observatory           SPAN:  IUE::SUAREZ            =========

wayne@helix.nih.gov (Wayne Rasband) (03/01/91)

Matuszek) writes:
> I just got a copy of the shareware program Imagine, which looks like a
> (possibly) very nice image processing program.  However, it has no
> external documentation, just an on-line help facility that doesn't
> work...

Try removing the space in the name of the help file. It should be called
"ImagineHelp". The author of Imagine(renamed DIPStation) can be reached at
whc@po.cwru.edu.

> PS  The program is Imagine, not Image;  I also just got Image, it
> looks similar but weaker....and has no help system or docs at all.

Documentation for NIH Image, as well as complete source code and example
images,  is available via anonymous ftp from alw.nih.gov, in the directory
/pub/image.

--wayne