[comp.sys.mac.apps] Word 4.0 Page Size PROBLEM

mjkobb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (02/27/91)

Greetings,

  I'm having a bit of a problem with Word 4.0.  For some reason, it seems to
have decided that letter-sized pages (and legal, for that matter) are 7.625
inches wide, not 8.5.

  If I open up a document in the page-view mode, and display it on my Radius
Pivot (which lets me see the whole thing), the edges of the page fall at -1.25
and +6.375.  Now, this is decidedly odd, since the page is EXACTLY the same
size (on screen) as it was when it was still 8.5" wide!  Printing yields a
correct left margin, and a very large right margin.  I tried typing 8.5x11 at
the custom paper size option in the Preferences dialog, but nothing changed...

  To add to the confusion, this is the SECOND time I've seen this problem.
The first time was on a friend's machine.  Our configurations are about as
different as you can get (he's got an SE, a Radius FPD, and a DeskWriter; I've
got a IIx, a Radius Pivot, Apple RGB, and a DeskWriter).  In his case, we just
trashed the Word(4) Settings file, and that fixed it.  However, I've
customized my menus fairly extensively, and I'll be very upset if I have to
redo all of that.

  Any ideas?  Anyone else seen this behavior?  Anyone from Microsoft out
there?

  System config:  Word 4.00B, System 6.0.5, Mac IIx, 8Mb, legion inits,
Deskwriter printer (with driver version 2.1 [note that my friend was using
2.0]), Adobe Type Manager (v2.0).

Thanks!
--Mike

PS: PLEASE email me.  I can't keep up with the traffic in this group (although
I checked all the articles stored here before I posted).  I'll post a summary.

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (02/28/91)

In article <5379@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>>Greetings,
>>
>>  I'm having a bit of a problem with Word 4.0.  For some reason, it seems to
>>have decided that letter-sized pages (and legal, for that matter) are 7.625
>>inches wide, not 8.5.

	This happened to me.  It seemed to have something to do with
the Word preferences file incorrectly storing the page size for the
printer.  Try choosing another printer and then doing page setup, then
choose your printer and do page setup again. You might also try
trashing your preferences file.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

mjkobb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/01/91)

In article <88977@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <5379@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>  I'm having a bit of a problem with Word 4.0.  For some reason, it seems to
>>>have decided that letter-sized pages (and legal, for that matter) are 7.625
>>>inches wide, not 8.5.
>>>

>	This happened to me.  It seemed to have something to do with
>the Word preferences file incorrectly storing the page size for the
>printer.  Try choosing another printer and then doing page setup, then
>choose your printer and do page setup again. You might also try
>trashing your preferences file.

Well, I knew that trashing the prefs file would work, but I didn't want to do
that because I have extensively customized my menus.

The choosing of multiple printers, however, worked, and it's all better now.

Microsoft, consider this a bug report!

Thanks,
--Mike