[comp.sys.mac.apps] Lucky me / SE30 / Flight Sim

mark@megatek.UUCP (mark thompson) (02/28/91)

Well, i got lucky recently, and have replaced my 512KE with an
SE/30. Now, i am trying to clean up a few loose ends.

1) MacWrite 4.5 crashes - is this the infamous MacWrite that only
runs on 68000s? If so, what is a good PD program that will pretend
to be MacWrite and fire up FullWrite instead?

2) Kermit 0(7) likewise crashes. Should i be surprised?

3) Worst of all, flight sim and fokker triplane won't run. This is
heartbreaking, since the SE/30 has enough power to make these
(especially flight sim) look good. I am aware that Microsoft and
SubLogic have decided that they don't want to fix flight sim,
so WHAT is a good (serious, non-game) flight simulator for my new toy?

4) Also, please recommend a good high-res color adaptor for the SE/30.

-mark

Rocket J. Squirrel			{uunet,ucsd,sun}!megatek!mark
	"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a Rabbit out of my hat!"
		"Again!? But that trick never works!"

hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott Matthews) (03/02/91)

On 27-Feb-91 in Lucky me / SE30 / Flight Sim
user mark thompson@megatek.UU writes:
>3) Worst of all, flight sim and fokker triplane won't run. This is
>heartbreaking, since the SE/30 has enough power to make these
>(especially flight sim) look good. I am aware that Microsoft and
>SubLogic have decided that they don't want to fix flight sim,
>so WHAT is a good (serious, non-game) flight simulator for my new toy?

I have heard from several soures, including MacUser ~November and a
friend who worked there for the summer that microsoft is working on a
new, _color_ flight simulator  due out with system 7!

Finally, a _real_ flight simulator for mac II and se/30 users!

later
scott

|====================================================
|H. Scott Matthews     | Carnegie Mellon University |
|Junior        	       | Project: To Graduate       |
|Comp.E/EPP            | Turn-ons include:          |
|(412) 268-4696        |  women who do dishes       |
|  E-mail to hm0i@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)         |
|"Give us an example of a modern day paradox, Bart" |
|"How about 'you're damned if you do, you're damned |
|if you don't ? '"                                  |
|                                  --- Bart Simpson |

brugge@fss.UUCP (John Brugge) (03/02/91)

In article <1613@megatek.megatek.uucp> mark@megatek.UUCP (mark thompson) writes:
>Well, i got lucky recently, and have replaced my 512KE with an
>SE/30. Now, i am trying to clean up a few loose ends.
>
>so WHAT is a good (serious, non-game) flight simulator for my new toy?
>
>4) Also, please recommend a good high-res color adaptor for the SE/30.

You might want to try Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer.  Although it was
ported from a PC product (and parts of the interface show it), it's sharp and
definitely more than a toy - most of the simulations are of military planes,
including some that were designed but never built(!)  With an SE/30, it's fast
enough to seem almost-kind-of like really flying.  However it definitely needs
color to be worthwhile.  I just got a NEC 3D monitor, with a Micron 8-bit card,
which may be as sharp as you'll get without forking out the big bucks for an
Apple monitor.  It works well for me.

John