[comp.sys.mac.apps] MACVISION

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (08/27/90)

"I bought MacVision (version 2.1) recently and have found it pretty
"good at some things and a bit problematic in other respects.  It works
"perfectly with still frames from VCR or camcorder...which is probably
"your best solution for portraits: record the subject and digitize from
"a freeze frame.  But it takes 20 seconds for a full-size (640x480
"pixels of eight bits (256 grays)) scan, not 6 seconds.  The quality is
"as good as I can detect since I currently have only a four-bit
"grayscale monitor.  Currently I have not been able to make it
"recognize a "live" signal from the camcorder's camera (even a still
"life with the camera on a tripod).  Does anyone have any suggestions
"as to why it won't recognize the "live" signal?
"-Neil

Interesting. I had the opposite results. My freeze frames were unrecognizeable
blobs of gray and the live stuff was at least recognizeable. I gave up on
using the camcorder (maybe it's not very good - a Magnavox that is 4 to 5
years old?). I got the Canon Zap Shot which takes a digital picture
instantly (no 20-second waits) and that has produced the best quality yet.

It looks much better on a grayscale monitor than I can print on a 300 dpi
printer, but still a long way for being usable for customer documentation.
A lot of the problem is that the Zap shot is a color camera. If we had
a good black/white digital camera, I think quality would improve. But the
whole world is more intersted in color these days, so I wouldn't look
for technical publication solutions in the near term (until someone
figures out who's really doing the most publishing). Hint, it's not the
people doing color glossies.

I do have fun with the camera by taking pictures that can instantly be
put into letters, so that's worth something.

Shirley Kehr

nsj@Apple.COM (Neal Johnson) (08/29/90)

In article <150590@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>"I bought MacVision (version 2.1) recently and have found it pretty
>"good at some things and a bit problematic in other respects.  It works
>"perfectly with still frames from VCR or camcorder...which is probably
>"your best solution for portraits: record the subject and digitize from
>"a freeze frame.  But it takes 20 seconds for a full-size (640x480
>"pixels of eight bits (256 grays)) scan, not 6 seconds.  The quality is
>"as good as I can detect since I currently have only a four-bit
>"grayscale monitor.  Currently I have not been able to make it
>"recognize a "live" signal from the camcorder's camera (even a still
>"life with the camera on a tripod).  Does anyone have any suggestions
>"as to why it won't recognize the "live" signal?
>"-Neil
>
>Interesting. I had the opposite results. My freeze frames were unrecognizeable
>blobs of gray and the live stuff was at least recognizeable. I gave up on
>using the camcorder (maybe it's not very good - a Magnavox that is 4 to 5
>years old?). I got the Canon Zap Shot which takes a digital picture
>instantly (no 20-second waits) and that has produced the best quality yet.
>
>It looks much better on a grayscale monitor than I can print on a 300 dpi
>printer, but still a long way for being usable for customer documentation.
>A lot of the problem is that the Zap shot is a color camera. If we had
>a good black/white digital camera, I think quality would improve. But the
>whole world is more intersted in color these days, so I wouldn't look
>for technical publication solutions in the near term (until someone
>figures out who's really doing the most publishing). Hint, it's not the
>people doing color glossies.
>
>I do have fun with the camera by taking pictures that can instantly be
>put into letters, so that's worth something.
>
>Shirley Kehr

I have used MacVision extensively with a Panasonic video camera doing
live shoots (don't move it takes about 10 seconds to scan!). I then take
the 72 dpi images and drop them into PixelPaint. Selecting the GrayScale
pallate (256 grays) and then selecting the image, I do a Smooth operation,
which results in a very respectable B&W image. You will be amazed!!!

- neal

name: Neal Johnson         "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
mail: nsj@apple.COM        "Love is the law, love under will."
phone: (408) 974-6246
disclaimer: Everything stated here is disclaimed by all.

chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) (08/30/90)

> Currently I have not been able to make it
>"recognize a "live" signal from the camcorder's camera

Probably a camera problem as it works fine for me, what are you using and how?

>I got the Canon Zap Shot which takes a digital picture
>instantly (no 20-second waits) and that has produced the best quality yet.

I don't know about the Canon Zap Shot. What is it and how much? Is this
that digital camera and if so, does it have a video out to hook up
to a Mac Vision?

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug30.162037.14323@momenta> chris@momenta (Chris Christensen) writes:
>>I got the Canon Zap Shot which takes a digital picture
>>instantly (no 20-second waits) and that has produced the best quality yet.
>I don't know about the Canon Zap Shot. What is it and how much? Is this
>that digital camera and if so, does it have a video out to hook up
>to a Mac Vision?

The Canon Xap Shot is a "still video camera".  It's an analog medium
with a video output which you can feed to a TV or VCR.  Images are
stored (in analog form) on a 2" floppy disk, so that may be the reason
there's some confusion with it being digital.

The Canon Xap Shot and a similar unit, the Sony Mavica, run about
$700-800 at most camera shops.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

DLP@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Passmore) (03/03/91)

Does anyone out there have any experience with MACVISION? I just acquired
version 3.0. The sample looks fine, but I am having great trouble
getting it to capture my images.

Iam getting a video signal into the digitizer. I keep getting a msg saying
that the video connections are not made. I will try all of this with a virgin
system tonight.

Any war stories?