[comp.sys.mac.apps] Mucking with text color in SoftPC - how?

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (03/03/91)

Hi!  I have access to a copy of SoftPC, and I was playing about with it
and found myself extremely dissatisfied with the text color (white.)  I
was idly wondering if there was any way to make it something
more...IBM-like, and the color green came to mind :-).  I tried mucking
about with it using ResEdit, and tried changing the WIND and wctb
resources, among others, but was unable to affect it.  I suspect that it
is becuse it is determined by the softPC itself, not the Mac resources.
Does anyone know a way to make the text come out green?  I haven't
mentioned any pc-side solutions because I don't know any- I'm a mac
person.  But those would be great too. :-)  Thanks!

-JBZimmerman!
___________           |-In Washington, undercover DEA agents trick mayor
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

sjm@unhd.unh.edu (Scott J Mccue) (03/04/91)

In article <6805@idunno.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>Hi!  I have access to a copy of SoftPC, and I was playing about with it
[some lines deleted]
>more...IBM-like, and the color green came to mind :-).  I tried mucking
>about with it using ResEdit, and tried changing the WIND and wctb
>resources, among others, but was unable to affect it.  I suspect that it
>is becuse it is determined by the softPC itself, not the Mac resources.
>Does anyone know a way to make the text come out green?  I haven't

    SoftPC acts almost exactly as an ms-dos machine, so you make the changes
in SoftPC by implementing them at the DOS level. I have my SoftPC "machine"
showing a blue background w/ white letters, and I do it by using Norton
Utilities for the IBM PC (not the new utilities for the Mac).
     If you don't wish to spend money on PC programs, there are tons of PD
utilities and programs at ftp-able sites such as SIMTEL20 and wuarchive. Or,
you can join the IBM oriented forums in Compuserve or others. The wuarchive
mirror is at wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4). Login anonymously, and then
cd to mirrors, then msdos.  BTW, there are some ANSI.SYS replacements in the
screen subdirectory that can speed up graphics and such to the SoftPC screen.
The results aren't blazing, but they do help.
     All of these changes are done the way you'd do them to a normal msdos
machine- in the AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS generally.

sjm@unhd.unh.edu