[comp.sys.mac.apps] Qs on After Dark and DiskExpress II

siow@fox.cs.wisc.edu (Alan Siow) (02/28/91)

I've read many praises of After Dark both on and off this newsgroup, but
how exactly is it different from/better than something like Pyro?

I seem to remember reading that DiskExpress II is capable of optimizing
in the background.  Is this feature supported in the currently available
version or is it expected in a future release?

----
Alan Siow
siow@cs.wisc.edu

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (<blank>) (02/28/91)

siow@fox.cs.wisc.edu (Alan Siow) writes:

>I've read many praises of After Dark both on and off this newsgroup, but
>how exactly is it different from/better than something like Pyro?

>I seem to remember reading that DiskExpress II is capable of optimizing
>in the background.  Is this feature supported in the currently available
>version or is it expected in a future release?

>----
>Alan Siow
>siow@cs.wisc.edu

With the latest release of Pyro, making it also 'modular', both After Dark
and Pyro are basically equivalent.  Personally I use After Dark.
(in fact, I just posted a new module I just wrote in comp.binaries.mac)

DiskExpressII optimizes in the backgraound in its current version.  It works
well, if you don't mind your hard disk whirring when you aren't working.
(It kicks in after a few minutes and 'does its thing' similar to a screen saver)
Having the disk access light flicker frequently when my machine was just sitting
there unnerved me, so I usually only run it 'on purpose' now, instead of
continually in the background.

Dan Walkowski
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (03/01/91)

siow@fox.cs.wisc.edu (Alan Siow) writes:

>I've read many praises of After Dark both on and off this newsgroup, but
>how exactly is it different from/better than something like Pyro?

It's actually very similar to Pyro; both have plug-in modules that add
additional screensaver functions. After Dark has sound capability, and a
few more new public-domain modules; Pyro is slightly smoother on slow
Macs, has better wake-up control, and has a longer history & better
reputation. Additionaly, I've begun to notice some compatibility
problems with After Dark on the IIsi.

Your best bet is to take a look at both, and decide which suits you better.

>I seem to remember reading that DiskExpress II is capable of optimizing
>in the background.  Is this feature supported in the currently available
>version or is it expected in a future release?

It's currently supported.

-mike
Disclaimer: no association with the authors or publishers of any of the
above software.
Michael T. Rose    mr2t@andrew.cmu.edu	        1069 Morewood Avenue
"One day you'll come home shining out loud/    Pittsburgh, PA  15213
 And we'll all be prouder than proud..." -Danny Wilson, *Davy*

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (03/03/91)

In article <YbnHD1e00Uh741bIFz@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
> Additionaly, I've begun to notice some compatibility
> problems with After Dark on the IIsi.

Could you please say more about this?  I run After Dark on the IIsi,
and I don't have any problems with it.  I do not use the sound on After
Dark.  To minimize crashes of any type, I run Apple's recommended system,
use few inits, and I have asked for IIsi updates for all of my software.

Perhaps you have found some type of specific conflict, or else I don't
use my Mac enough.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (03/06/91)

In <679@newave.UUCP> john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>In article <YbnHD1e00Uh741bIFz@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
>> Additionaly, I've begun to notice some compatibility
>> problems with After Dark on the IIsi.

>Could you please say more about this?  I run After Dark on the IIsi,
>and I don't have any problems with it.  I do not use the sound on After
>Dark.  To minimize crashes of any type, I run Apple's recommended system,
>use few inits, and I have asked for IIsi updates for all of my software.

I use AD 2.0 on my IIsi with a boatload of INITs and cdevs.  The startup INIT
pictures almost complete a second wrap!  But I have seen NO compatability
problems or crashes (I also use the sounds -- Flying Toasters is my favorite)

--
| Patrick Hoepfner              |            NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center |