[comp.sys.mac.apps] tiff files

JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET (03/04/91)

What application can a use to view tiff files or convert them to pict
or paint files? I have several I'd like to look at. Please reply to
me directly. Thanks.

sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (03/04/91)

In article <91062.203358JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>What application can a use to view tiff files or convert them to pict
>or paint files? I have several I'd like to look at. Please reply to
>me directly. Thanks.

	I would also like the information, please.

	Thank you.

       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   sl242030@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (03/04/91)

>In article <91062.203358JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>>What application can a use to view tiff files or convert them to pict
>	I would also like the information, please.

The public domain application "Image" can view and manipulate TIFF
It's available by anonymous ftp on sumex (inet # 36.44.0.6).

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (03/04/91)

>In article <91062.203358JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
> What application can a use to view tiff files or convert them to pict
> or paint files? I have several I'd like to look at. Please reply to
> me directly. Thanks.

I have used Digital Darkroom to do this; it reads and writes TIFF,
Macpaint, and PICT files with no problem.  As I understand it, the new
version of DD will also colorize.

I also have used PixelPaint, which will read and write Macpaint, PICT,
PICT2, EPSF and TIFF files.  It sounds like this is what you are looking
for.
Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!
LAW OF COMBAT #1:  Incoming fire has the right of way
	      #2:  If the enemy's in range, so are you
	      #3:  Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you
	      #4:  Never forget that you weapon is made by the lowest bidder

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (03/05/91)

--

Well, the best application I've come across (in fact, the *only*
one that I know of, but there are prob. others), is Canvas. You

Give me a yell it you have any further problems. Good Luck!

                                Nigel.

* "If I had a quote, I'd be wearing it."   Internet: stanger@otago.ac.nz       *
*       -- Dylan Thomas (I think)          SnailMail: c/o Information Science, *
*                                                     University of Otago,     *
* "Say no MORE!!!"                                    P.O. Box 56,             *
*       -- Eric Idle                                  Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND.    *

robbins@barred.rice.edu (Thomas Robbins) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar5.133658.120@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>In article <1991Mar4.035732.16305@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, sl242030@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) writes:
>> In article <91062.203358JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>>>What application can a use to view tiff files or convert them to pict
>>>or paint files? I have several I'd like to look at. Please reply to
>>>me directly. Thanks.
>>
>> 	I would also like the information, please.
>>
>> 	Thank you.
>--

There is a very nice program called 'gifconverter' that will read
absolutely anything (eg. GIF, TIFF, PICT, startup-scrn, etc.) and
save it as anything else.

--
Tom Robbins                   | "No, it's 'Blessed are the meek.'  I think
robbins@owlnet.rice.edu       |  that's nice, 'cause they really have a hell

tchi@sal-sun44.usc.edu (The Answer Company) (03/06/91)

The most current version of Canvas is 3.0 (don't know if it's out yet).

I use Adobe Photoshop to convert images from one format to another.  It might
be an overkill but it works very well and you have a lot of control over the
image just in case you want to clean it up before you convert it.

Another good one is GIFConverter and it's shareware (unlike Photoshop where you
have to take out a loan)  8^)

Tony Chi
tchi@usc.edu

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (03/06/91)

In article <15501@chaph.usc.edu> tchi@sal-sun44.usc.edu (The Answer Company) writes:

>The most current version of Canvas is 3.0 (don't know if it's out yet).

Canvas 3.0 is not out yet; I called Deneba today to order it, and they
tell me that it will not be shipping until the second quarter of 91
(second quarter == June??).  They have four upgrade paths:

	1) if you purchased Canvas 2.1 recently, (I think > Jan 91)
	   there will be a free upgrade;

	2) if you purchased 2.1 earlier, there will be a $99 upgrade;

	3) if you have an earlier version of Canvas, the upgrade is
	   $129;

	4) and finally, if you own MacDraw II, they will trade you (you
	   send in the program disk) for $149.

  The full retail price is going to be around $399.

I've seen 3.0 working, and I've read the reviews on it--it looks to be a
pretty pwerful program.  Obviously, I am on the list to upgrade.
	      #2:  If the enemy's in range, so are you
	      #3:  Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you
	      #4:  Never forget that you weapon is made by the lowest bidder

david@sherpa.UUCP (Dave Quarles) (03/06/91)

> Well, the best application I've come across (in fact, the *only*
> one that I know of, but there are prob. others), is Canvas. You
> can open a TIFF file (as long as it has the file type "TIFF", you
> may have to change it with ResEdit or similar), then save it in
> Canvas format, or PICT, and possibly one or two other formats, I
> can't remember. The latest version is 2.1 (as far as I know, can
> anyone confirm that?), but I haven't seen it yet, we here at the
> end of the Earth are still stuck with version 2.0, worse luck :-(

There was a very nice pullout in the October 1990 issue of MacUSER
that was a chart of which programs could read, edit, save, etc., PICT,
PICT2, TIFF, COMPRESSED TIFF, and on and on.

It also had a summary on the back of the differences between the graphic
formats, 8-bit, and 24-bit, etc.  More than most would want to know.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   Dave   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (03/06/91)

In article <46471@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) writes:
>>In article <91062.203358JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET> JAYMS@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>>>What application can a use to view tiff files or convert them to pict
>>	I would also like the information, please.
>
>The public domain application "Image" can view and manipulate TIFF
>It's available by anonymous ftp on sumex (inet # 36.44.0.6).

Or better still alw.nih.gov. It is the place where the latest versions
are.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ===========================
P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)