[comp.sys.mac.apps] It's the Communications Toolbox.

bskendig@dry.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (03/07/91)

In article <91065.204124JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Time for a new game show; Name That Icon!
>
>The story:  The following icon appears at the bottom left of my Mac
>screen during boot.  I have never seen this icon before, and nobody
>else where I work can identify the application/INIT/CDEV/whatever
>that it belongs to.

[really nice ascii picture deleted]

That was a really nice ascii picture!  :)

>...  I want to get rid of this thing.

What, the Communications Toolbox?

That's the icon that means that the Communications Tolbox has been
loaded.  If you look more closely at your System Folder, you will
probably also find a folder in there named "Communications Folder";
this is usually empty, but programs such as MacX need to find certain
files in there.

Apple probably shouldn't have used an icon like that to show that it's
loaded, because that's bound to confuse more people than just
yourself, but they did...

The Communications Toolbox provides lots of nice routines to
standardize serial communications on your Mac.  (If you've ever
struggled with trying to get your modem to communicate with some other
modem somewhere, you know how bad things can be.  The Comm Toolbox
tries to ease this pain.)  All I really know about it is that it's
supposedly a part of System 7 that was completed and released early,
and that applications either totally ignore it (like most
telecommunications programs out today) or depend utterly on its
presence (like MacX).

If you're not using MacX or another program that needs it, you might
want to get rid of the Comm Toolbox to free up a little bit of extra
RAM.  You do this with the installer disk that you used to put it
there in the first place; just tell it that you want to remove the
Toolbox.  If you can't find the original installer disk, you'll either
have to put up with it eating up a little bit of RAM, or re-install
your System from scratch to get rid of it.

Hope this helps!

     << Brian >>

P.T.: I see you're from Malvern, PA; I went to high school at good ol'
Malvern Prep (more fun than a trip to the dentist).  I also see you're
on QuantumLink; is that thing *still* going?  How much are the rates
up to these days?  I'm surprised that it would still be turning a
profit; hasn't Commodore stopped making C64's by now?

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."