[comp.sys.mac.apps] MathType questions

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (03/07/91)

In article <16736@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
> A colleague of mine is working on a paper (in MS Word), and someone
> recommended MathType (from Design Science) to him.  He asked me if I
> would try to find out something about it.

First off, Word is very hostile toward MathType (and most other
applications for that matter). Word ignores the baseline information
generated by MathType. There are workarounds, see me for more info on this.

> He is something of a perfectionist.  The basic questions are (1) how
> good does the output look? and (2) Can he diddle the output to improve
> it?  (He taught himself PostScript so he didn't have to deal with the
> limitations of the Mac drawing programs we have.)

If he likes "writing" in PS, may be happier in the TeX environment,
especially for math. MathType has some "primatives" for diddling but
nothing like one can do with PS or TeX. Additionally MathType can
output TeX commands to recreate the generated expression.

> I don't know anything about what kinds of equations he needs to
> represent, so information about what MathType handles would probably
> also be useful.  (It's probably a paper having to do with the human
> genome project.)

I haven't run into many things that couldn't be created in MathType.
I'm sure that there is some pretty esoteric terminology/symbology out
there though.

Brad Hedstrom                  Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                     Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom       ``I don't think so.''
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA                  ``Homey don't play that.''

guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) (03/08/91)

In article <HEDSTROM.91Mar6160329@jacob.UVic.CA> hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes:
>In article <16736@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>> A colleague of mine is working on a paper (in MS Word), and someone
>> recommended MathType (from Design Science) to him.  He asked me if I
>> would try to find out something about it.
>
>First off, Word is very hostile toward MathType (and most other
>applications for that matter). Word ignores the baseline information
>generated by MathType. There are workarounds, see me for more info on this.

{Remainder of post deleted}

Workarounds? The easy way would be to pick up the Express->Word FKEY
which allows you to paste MathType or Expressionist pictures into Word
4.0 and which recognizes the baseline info. If you need this FKEY
contact me (it's free).

Andreas Guelzow
<guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca>