[comp.sys.mac.apps] Name that icon!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/07/91)

Time for a new game show; Name That Icon!

The story:  The following icon appears at the bottom left of my Mac
screen during boot.  I have never seen this icon before, and nobody
else where I work can identify the application/INIT/CDEV/whatever
that it belongs to.  So, I turn to you, the net.  Name this icon:
(tip: It helps if you blur your eyes and ignore the periods at the left)

.             ****
.            **   *
.           *****  *
.          **   *   *
.          *    *   *
.              ***  *
.  ************* *   *****
.  **        ** ***  **  **
.  ***      ** *** ***   ***
.  ****    ** ***   *    * **  *
.  * ***                 ** *****
.  ** ****************************
.  * * **                   ***** *
.  ** * *                  ***** *
.  * * **                 ***** *
.  ** * *    *********** ***** *
.  * * **  **           ***** *
.  ** * * *    ***   * ***** **
.  * * ** *    * *   *  *** * *
.  ** * * *    * ***** *** *  *
.  * * ** *****       **  *   *
.  ** * *    *       **       *
.  * * **   *   *   **    *   *
.  ** * *  *   * * **  *   *  *
.  * * **  *  * *  *  * *  *  *
.  ** * *  *               *  *
.  *** **  *               *  *
.   *****  *               *  *
.    ****   ***************   *
.     ***                     *
.      **                     *
.       ***********************

I apologize for the horrible way square graphics come out in ascii
characters.  For those of you in need of a translation, it sort of
looks like a box, with a picture of a telephone on the front, a
hammer inside, and a screwdriver adjusting the phone on the outside.

Anyway, even if you can identify this, I need more.  I want to get
rid of this thing.  What I have tried:

 * Using the INIT cdev to disable ALL INITs in its list.  Upon reboot,
   this single icon still showed up at the bottom of the screen.
 * Of course, this did not appear in the System Folder, or I would
   simply have dragged it out.  So I loaded MacTools and searched
   for invisible files.  Didn't find anything.
 * So I loaded up ResEdit.  I found the above icon in ICN# with the
   number "-32512."  It warned me that this was loaded and in use.

So, if you can NAME THAT ICON, please let me know!  Thanks!  :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (03/07/91)

In article <91065.204124JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>
writes:
>Time for a new game show; Name That Icon!

          ...(skipping along)...

>I apologize for the horrible way square graphics come out in ascii
>characters.  For those of you in need of a translation, it sort of
>looks like a box, with a picture of a telephone on the front, a
>hammer inside, and a screwdriver adjusting the phone on the outside.

I expect it's the icon for the communications toolbox.  Presumably you're using
Versaterm or some other program that uses the CTB.  You ran an installation
disk to install the toolbox, and if you want to get rid of it then find that
installation disk and I believe there's some option to remove the toolbox.

You can't disable this like some ordinary init because it's installed right
into the system file itself.  It is not a separate init.  I have CTB installed
on my Mac at home (for Versaterm), and I am not aware of any problems caused by
having it installed.

 - Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

sie6@quads.uchicago.edu (scott alexander siege) (03/07/91)

I have hear mention of the Communications toolbox. What exactly is it?
What does it require? What does it do? What software makes use of it.

Thanks,

  -Scott

laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (03/07/91)

In article <778-{Q$@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu writes:
>I expect it's the icon for the communications toolbox.  Presumably you're
using
>Versaterm or some other program that uses the CTB.  You ran an installation
>disk to install the toolbox, and if you want to get rid of it then find that
>installation disk and I believe there's some option to remove the toolbox.

Holding down the option key makes the "Install" button change to "Remove", I
believe.

>You can't disable this like some ordinary init because it's installed right
>into the system file itself.  It is not a separate init.  I have CTB installed
>on my Mac at home (for Versaterm), and I am not aware of any problems caused
by
>having it installed.

You can disable the CTB by holding down the shift key before it loads.  I've
noticed that the CTB causes init/cdev to crash if you hold down the space bar
while booting to bring up the list of inits you want to load.  That's the only
conflict I've seen.

> - Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/08/91)

In article <778-{Q$@rpi.edu>, Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu writes:

> You can't disable this like some ordinary init because it's installed right
> into the system file itself.  It is not a separate init.  I have CTB installed
> on my Mac at home (for Versaterm), and I am not aware of any problems caused by
> having it installed.

I've run into one problem the CTB init can cause.  I was booting from
a disk that had the CTB installed.  There was no ethernet driver installed
on this disk, but the previous boot had been off a disk with an ethernet
driver that had been turned on.

Crash.

The work around was to turn off ethernet before booting off my disk,
though it took us a while to figure out what was going on.

Still, I like the CTB.  It's just not completely bug free - what is?

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (03/08/91)

In <1991Mar7.134938.2844@linus.mitre.org> laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) writes:

>In article <778-{Q$@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu writes:
>>I expect it's the icon for the communications toolbox.  Presumably you're

... stuff deleted ...

>You can disable the CTB by holding down the shift key before it loads.  I've
>noticed that the CTB causes init/cdev to crash

this conflict between init cdev and the CTB was confirmed by someone's tech
support department-can't remember who, but may have been ICE engineering.
Is there a new version of the Init cdev?

rich
--
Rich Akerboom        Internet, etc.:   boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sylvan Software      UUCP:             decvax!dartvax!eleazar!boomer