[comp.sys.mac.apps] Problems with MacWrite II and MacEqn

jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) (03/05/91)

One of my colleagues is having some trouble with the combination
MacWrite II and MacEqn. When he inserts a formula into a MacWrite
document the formula shows up in a very small size. There is no problem
with the combination WriteNow - MacEqn.
So my questions are:
1	What is the latest version of MacEqn? His version is 2.03 and
	seems to be a bit old.
2	Is this a known problem ? and is there a way to work around it ?

	Thanks
			jem
---
Jan Erik Mostr|m      jem@sm.luth.se "The material things in life, aren't
Dept. of Comp. Sci.   +46 920 91212   important to me, but I doooooooo
Univ of Lule}, Sweden                 like the stuff !!!!!"

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (03/07/91)

In article <671@my.sm.luth.se> jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) writes:

>One of my colleagues is having some trouble with the combination
>MacWrite II and MacEqn. When he inserts a formula into a MacWrite
>document the formula shows up in a very small size. There is no problem
>with the combination WriteNow - MacEqn.

We have the same problem pasting EndNote formatted references.  MacWrite II
assumes that Styled Text on the Clipboard has a font, size and style
specified.  If the font is not set, it will be pasted in Helvetica.  If
the style is not set, it will be pasted in Plain.  If the size is not set,
it will be pasted in 3.25 points (looks like junk).

We have talked to Claris about this, but they don't really understand (the
pasting program wants to use whatever size and/or font you were using before,
but can't find out, because there's no communication).  Maybe we can convince
them to fix this in the next version of MacWrite II.

Apple has promised that they will make some changes in Styled TextEdit some-
time, maybe around System 7.1.  Until then, we just have this problem...
--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

sienkiew@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Meta Sienkiewicz) (03/08/91)

In article <23479@well.sf.ca.us> nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) writes:
>In article <671@my.sm.luth.se> jem@sm.luth.se (Jan Erik Mostr|m) writes:
>>
>>One of my colleagues is having some trouble with the combination
>>MacWrite II and MacEqn. When he inserts a formula into a MacWrite
>>document the formula shows up in a very small size. There is no problem
>>with the combination WriteNow - MacEqn.
>
>We have the same problem pasting EndNote formatted references.  MacWrite II
>assumes that Styled Text on the Clipboard has a font, size and style

No, I think that the problem with MacEqn is different than the EndNote
problem.  Formulas are copied from MacEqn as PICTs.  If the margins are
set too wide in MacEqn, the formulas are too wide for the page when pasted
in MacWrite II, and are scaled down to fit the margins. (There is no problem
with Write Now since it lets you paste PICTs wider than the margins w/o scaling
them.)  When the margins are adjusted correctly in MacEqn, the formulas
paste in to MacWrite II just fine.

							Meta Sienkiewicz
Disclaimer:  standard disclaimer applies.