[comp.sys.mac.apps] MacDraft printing problem

ndg503@csc.anu.edu.au (Nick Guoth) (03/08/91)

Hi,

I seem to be having some problems with MacDraft. At present we have two
versions of this software. Versions 1.2b and 2.0. There are a large
number of diagrams that were created using 1.2b and for some reason
they cannot be printed now. When trying to print a diagram created
with 1.2b, we get "A PostScript error has been generated by the
LaserWriter driver; the document is okay but cannot be printed."
Just before this message comes up, in the Print Monitor dialog
box is printed "error stackunderflow; offending command exch".  I
have tried this out on more than one Mac and more than one printer
with the same results. We have System 6.0.7 with 6.0 LaserWriter.
I used one of the two sample diagrams that come with the application.

The above message occurs both when we have 1.2b on the Mac and when
we have both 1.2b and 2.0 on the Mac. On some occasions if we
have both versions of MacDraft on the Mac then Print Monitor states
that the diagram has been printed, but nothing prints out and on
extremely rare occasions, it actually prints out without problem.

Now, 1.2b worked some time ago, when we had 6.0.4, although I do not
know if the problems began when the version of the system was upgraded.
The machines being used are IIcxs (either 4/40 or 2/40) and the
LaserWriters are IIs or IINTs. Also when we were running 6.0.4, we
used the same printer drivers (i.e. 6.0) as we are now.

Could the problem be with the version of the system software and its
compatability with MacDraft 1.2b? Could it be that when the MacDraft 2.0
installation occurs (i.e. straight copying floppy -> hard disk) does
something to the printer driver? Or does this happen if you run
MacDraft 2.0?

Any help would be great.

By the way, is there anywhere where one can get a list of explanations
of the messages that come in the print monitor; these offending
command messages.

Thanks in advance...

/-----------------------------------------------------------------\
nick guoth			  ndg503@csc.anu.edu.au
Research School of Chemistry      Computing Unit
Australian National University    Canberra, AUSTRALIA
"Happiness is a piece of fudge caught on the first bounce" - Snoopy
\-----------------------------------------------------------------/

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.171530.1@csc.anu.edu.au> ndg503@csc.anu.edu.au (Nick Guoth) writes:
>[problems printing with MacDraft 1.2b]
>
>Now, 1.2b worked some time ago, when we had 6.0.4, although I do not
>know if the problems began when the version of the system was upgraded.
>The machines being used are IIcxs (either 4/40 or 2/40) and the
>LaserWriters are IIs or IINTs. Also when we were running 6.0.4, we
>used the same printer drivers (i.e. 6.0) as we are now.
>
>Could the problem be with the version of the system software and its
>compatability with MacDraft 1.2b? Could it be that when the MacDraft 2.0
>installation occurs (i.e. straight copying floppy -> hard disk) does
>something to the printer driver? Or does this happen if you run
>MacDraft 2.0?

The MacDraft 2.0 installation doesn't do anything to the print driver or
the System Software.  I believe the current version is 2.1, just for your
information.

MacDraft 1.2b is ancient - it's code hasn't changed for a loooong time.
I would guess that the problem is System Software compatibility.  I would
suggest trying LaserWriter 5.0 or System Software 6.0.4 to see if that works.
You don't have to go through the hassle of reinstalling the system, you can
just boot off a floppy to see if it works.

Disclaimer - Although I'm a former IDD software engineer, I left before
MacDraft 2.x development started.  I can only make educated guesses.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616