[comp.sys.mac.apps] Macintosh Postscript Printing

dchun@aludra.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (03/08/91)

Does anyone know how to redirect postscript output from a Macintosh to
a disk file to be uploaded to a Sun workstation or IBM-PC? Of course,
this is without any serious hacking or modification to the software.

I would like to know this information within 3-days. This is for a
class project and the professor doesn't know how to use a Macintosh or
what a Macintosh is. If there is such a way, please send mail to:
dchun@aludra.usc.edu. Thanks in advance for any information.

					...dale

PS. Please, no flames. If so, I'll torch you. Hehe!

Dale C. Chun
University of Southern California
Computer Science
Los Angeles, California.

mhowitt@pro-angmar.UUCP (Matt Howitt) (03/10/91)

Dale,

I'm sure you're going to be innundated with answers to this question, but
this in an excerpt from the Macintosh Questions and Answered available in
the comp.sys.mac.announce newsgroup.

Q: How do I print PostScript to a file instead of a laser printer?

A: Make sure that the LaserWriter is chosen in the Chooser DA (even if
   you don't have a LaserWriter).  Immediately after clicking OK in the
   Print dialog box, press and hold the `f' key (`k' if you want the
   LaserPrep header information included in the document).  You should
   see a dialog box telling you that a postscript file is being created.
   The file will be named ``Postscript0'' and you may need to use the
   Find File DA (or equivalent) to locate it.  You can then send it to a
   LaserWriter on a Mac using a program called SendPS.  For use on Unix
   systems with other PostScript printers, check out the program macps,
   available from sumex and other places.

   If you're running MultiFinder, this will only work if you have
   background printing turned off.

   For a lot more information about generating PostScript on the Mac,
   check out the file /info-mac/tips/generating-postscript.txt from
   sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  (If you don't understand what I just said,
   see the question on FTP below.)  This file has a lot of useful
   information and is definitely worth your time and effort to get.

There you go!  Hope it is helpful.

--
Matt Howitt                |  InterNet: pro-angmar!mhowitt@alphalpha.com
Owner                      |  UUCP:  ...uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!mhowitt