[comp.sys.mac.apps] Broken dCAD calculator DA

JACOBSEN@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (03/11/91)

I have been using the 'dCAD Calculator' DA for a long time. I recently
got a larger monitor (Sigma Designs L*View) and now find that the
DA is 'broken'.

Symptoms:   Selecting the DA under the Apple Menu drops me into MacsBug,
almost always with a 'Bus Error' in the DA handler.  Rebooting is
the only way out that works. The calculator window shows briefly on the
primary screen (whichever it is) before the crash.

System: Mac IIci with RGB 13" display on internal video (primary screen, has
menubar - although making the other monitor the primary doesn't fix this),
8M, 80M internal disk, L*View monitor in left slot.  Running 6.0.7 (the
DA worked on this before the new monitor).  Removing all non-Apple
code from the System and System folder (except the init that drives the
new monitor) does not fix the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. I'm pretty
resigned to this being fatal to the DA, so suggestions on a good
calculator DA would also be welcomed.

Thanks.

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (03/11/91)

In article <91069.093231JACOBSEN@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> JACOBSEN@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> <<Stuff deleted>>
>
>Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. I'm pretty
>resigned to this being fatal to the DA, so suggestions on a good
>calculator DA would also be welcomed.
>
>Thanks.

I can't offer any suggestions for fixing DCad calculator, but you might want
to try using DT Calculator, available on sumex as /da/dt-calculator-303.hqx
I have been using it instead of DCad for quite some time since it allows
input from the keypad and keyboard, and it has RPN (HP style) input which
I greatly prefer to algebraic (everybody else style).  In it's about box it
is listed as "Advertiseware" for Seagull Engineering of Sweden.

Some of the features include:  all trig functions and inverses, all hyperbolics
and inverses, simple two variable statistics, factorial, natural and base
ten log and exponential, polar to rectangular conversion, and multiple display
options (fix, eng, sci).

To be perfectly honest, though, I usually have a calculator close to my Mac
which I use for simple calculations. :-)  Anything more sophisticated I throw
to Excel or Mathematica.

Alan

kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin William Ryan) (03/11/91)

JACOBSEN@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
>I have been using the 'dCAD Calculator' DA for a long time. I recently
>got a larger monitor (Sigma Designs L*View) and now find that the
>DA is 'broken'.
>
>Symptoms:   Selecting the DA under the Apple Menu drops me into MacsBug,
>almost always with a 'Bus Error' in the DA handler.  ...

    You might try removing MacsBug. That program has given me more grief
than I can politely speak of. My program development works much better
without it trapping things. And I reboot _much_ less often.

                                                    kwr

Internet: kr0u+@andrew.cmu.edu

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (03/12/91)

In <12699@ur-cc.UUCP> afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:

>In article <91069.093231JACOBSEN@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> JACOBSEN@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>> <<Stuff deleted>>
>>

>I can't offer any suggestions for fixing DCad calculator, but you might want
>to try using DT Calculator, available on sumex as /da/dt-calculator-303.hqx
>I have been using it instead of DCad for quite some time since it allows
>input from the keypad and keyboard, and it has RPN (HP style)

does anyone know of any other non-dCAD calculators that are NOT rpn? It seems
that most of the calculators in the archives are rpn style.

Rich Akerboom
--
Rich Akerboom        Internet, etc.:   boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sylvan Software      UUCP:             decvax!dartvax!eleazar!boomer