[comp.sys.mac.apps] More memory to DeskPaint/Draw Das under MultiFinder ?

seals@ac.dal.ca (03/09/91)

Hello Netters !

  before I spend the bucks to phone Zedcor Technical Support, I wonder if
anyone has a suggestion as to how I might increase the memory partition of
the DeskPaint/Draw DAs under MultiFinder ?
  Even using the HeapTool CDEV to increase the System heap to a large size
(about 50% free memory), I can still get only about 14 to 20K of memory
available in DeskDraw - and frequent bombs back to Finder level.  The DAs
work fine in Finder, but do not seem able to "grab" the extra memory they
need in MultiFinder.  Am I crippled by their inability to handle large
images in MultiFinder ? (IF you call images larger than 20K large   :-/
  Thanks in advance for any help !
                                                       Jack
Jack Lawson
Dalhousie University                 "There are three kinds of lies: lies,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA          damned lies and statistics."
Internet: seals@ac.dal.ca                                      Mark Twain

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/10/91)

In article <3955@ac.dal.ca>, seals@ac.dal.ca writes:

> Hello Netters !
>
>   before I spend the bucks to phone Zedcor Technical Support, I wonder if
> anyone has a suggestion as to how I might increase the memory partition of
> the DeskPaint/Draw DAs under MultiFinder ?
>   Even using the HeapTool CDEV to increase the System heap to a large size
> (about 50% free memory), I can still get only about 14 to 20K of memory
> available in DeskDraw - and frequent bombs back to Finder level.  The DAs
> work fine in Finder, but do not seem able to "grab" the extra memory they
> need in MultiFinder.  Am I crippled by their inability to handle large
> images in MultiFinder ? (IF you call images larger than 20K large   :-/
>   Thanks in advance for any help !

When you run DAs in MultiFinder you are running them with the DA Handler.
For some reason, when you do a "Get Info" on this file, the Finder
doesn't let you change it's MultiFinder memory parition size.  But
this file does have a SIZE resource which determines how much memory
it gets when it's run.

You can edit this directly using ResEdit.

[WARNING: Advertisement alert!]

Another, easier way to do this is using AppSizer.  It will let you
change the DA Handler's MultiFinder memory partition size as you
launch a DA.  It will even let you make this permament using its SAVE
command.

AppSizer is shareware and is available in all the usual places (SUMEX,
CompuServe, and it came in over comp.binaries.mac a while back).

-- michael, author of AppSizer

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/11/91)

The trick is increasing the DA Handler's memory, I suspect. I had a
problem with QuickMail needing more memory to copy and paste large
clipboards, so I went into the DA Handler with ResEdit and increased
the SIZE resource from 16K to 32K. I can't remember the details, but I
remember it being extremely obvious as to what you wanted to change.
Worked wonders for QuickMail and I think it will work for
DeskPaint/DeskDraw too.

cheers ... -Adam

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                         (also)  ace@tidbits.uucp

nm@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Nicolas Mercouroff) (03/14/91)

In article <3955@ac.dal.ca> seals@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Hello Netters !
>
>  before I spend the bucks to phone Zedcor Technical Support, I wonder if
>anyone has a suggestion as to how I might increase the memory partition of
>the DeskPaint/Draw DAs under MultiFinder ?
>  Even using the HeapTool CDEV to increase the System heap to a large size
>(about 50% free memory), I can still get only about 14 to 20K of memory
>available in DeskDraw - and frequent bombs back to Finder level.  The DAs
>work fine in Finder, but do not seem able to "grab" the extra memory they
>need in MultiFinder.  Am I crippled by their inability to handle large
>images in MultiFinder ? (IF you call images larger than 20K large   :-/
>  Thanks in advance for any help !
>                                                       Jack
>Jack Lawson
>Dalhousie University                 "There are three kinds of lies: lies,
>Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA          damned lies and statistics."
>Internet: seals@ac.dal.ca                                      Mark Twain

Suggestion :

1- Be SURE than no DA is currently running under "DA Handler".
2- Change (with ResEdit for example, but not with a DA) the TYPE of
   "DA Handler" (in your System Folder) from "dahd" to "APPL".
3- Under the Finder, select "DA Handler" and GetInfo (Command-I).
4- Then change the size allowed to the "DA Handler" as if it is an ordinary
   application. Increase it of 50K for example.
5- Change back the type of "DA Handler" from "APPL" to it's previous "dahd".
6- Ta-Da ! It _SHOULD_ work.

No guarantees. Be really careful that when you are changing the type of
"DA Handler" (and when it's type is APPL), it is not currently running ! Bad
case : you use DiskTop to change the type, but DiskTop is a DA !! Otherwise,
you will have a lot of trouble in RESTARTING your Macintosh ("DA Handler"
doesn't want to die -- it's human).

Hope it is clear enough to help.

-Nicolas.