[comp.sys.mac.apps] Filemaker Pro stupidity

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (03/08/91)

The latest on my list of things Claris broke when they went from Filemaker II to Filemaker Pro:

A database is sorted.  You find a subset of the records.  The found subset is NOT, I repeat NOT NOT NOT sorted in the original order.  This is the most G.D stupid imbecilic asinine design decision I have run across in a long time.  Because it means that EVERY time I find a subset I have to re-sort.  And then when I go back to the original entire set, I have to re-sort AGAIN.

Claris are you listening?  USE YOUR BRAINS.
--
flame off. **&%#%!&!!_)!%!@!_)(*^!&!&*!@&&(*&!@(*@!^)
--------------------

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (03/09/91)

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) writes:
>The latest on my list of things Claris broke when they went from Filemaker II
>to Filemaker Pro:

>A database is sorted.  You find a subset of the records.  The found subset is
>NOT, I repeat NOT NOT NOT sorted in the original order.  This is the most G.D
>stupid imbecilic asinine design decision I have run across in a long time.
>Because it means that EVERY time I find a subset I have to re-sort.  And then
>when I go back to the original entire set, I have to re-sort AGAIN.

Thank you for your comments.  While the behavior you describe may be annoying
to you, it is the same way that FileMaker II behaved.  It was not changed in
FileMaker Pro.  While we would have liked to change it so that the records
would remain sorted after the find,  we were somewhat limited by the
existing architecture of FileMaker II.  In order for us to retain the sort
order after every find, we would need to automatically perform a sort
after every find operation.  This would slow down finding dramatically
and would be annoying to some users.  Hopefully in the future we will be
able to change the architecture to make this work the way you would like.

>Claris are you listening?  USE YOUR BRAINS.
>--
>flame off. **&%#%!&!!_)!%!@!_)(*^!&!&*!@&&(*&!@(*@!^)
>--------------------
>Don MacQueen
>macq@miguel.llnl.gov
>--------------------

I understand your frustration, and I assure you that we are listening to
your comments.

Brian
--
Internet: skip@claris.com                 AppleLink: SCHIPPER1

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (03/09/91)

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) writes:

> The latest on my list of things Claris broke when they went from
> Filemaker II to Filemaker Pro:
>
> A database is sorted.  You find a subset of the records.  The found
> subset is NOT, I repeat NOT NOT NOT sorted in the original order.

FileMaker has *never* retained the sorted order of records after a Find.
This is largely because FileMaker (all versions) is disk-based. When
you perform a sort, the "ID Numbers" of the records are re-arranged,
not the actual records. Thus, FileMaker uses the sorted "ID Number"
list when displaying records. This is because re-arranging the actual
records on your disk would take a long time. When you do a Find, the
list of record ID numbers changes, and thus another sort is required
to put them in order again.

-Bill Marriott
 lou@cup.portal.com

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) (03/09/91)

Since we are talking Claris flames, I might as well burn this one that
has been brewing in my head for a few months now.

We are using FMPro on  a network and we use it to track the calls from
our clients -- we are a support organization. Anyway, in addition to
running FMPro to record the progress of problem resolution, we do other
things with our client Macs (weird things), like running 8 or more apps
at once. So anyway, there is this new feature in the Pro version where
it politely jams all the clients accessing the database if it loses
contact with one client. In addition, it puts a dialog up on the host
saying something like:
	The host has lost contact with <foo>. All activities will be
	suspended until contact is restablished or you may disconnect
	this client by pressing the Disconnect button.

There are problems with this in my book. I thought the whole point of
client-server applications was to create a system in which a resource
could be distributed among several clients and the clients should not
notice each other (or not notice each other to a great extent, as in
speed). WHY DOES ONE MACHINE CAUSE THE WHOLE SYSTEM TO LOSE?

I spoke to some engineer at Claris and he said that this was their
solution to the corrupted index problem of FMII.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could someone from Claris shed some
light on this, please?!?!?!

Many thanks,
Mike

| Michael L Barrow    | "If any of the above offended you, it was     |
| <mlbarrow@mit.edu>  |  my idea to do it -- not MIT's"               |
|     Consultant      | MIT Computing Support Services (CSS)          |
|     Member          | Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)   |
|     Student         | Computer Engineering Major, '93               |

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (03/09/91)

I would also like to add a change in Filemaker Pro that was made to solve
one problem and, in my opinion, created a bigger one.  Because of the
IW II's insistence on moving back and forth every time a new page starts,
and the annoyance this caused users of Filemaker II who printed out
hundreds of labels, Claris made the decision to spool the set of records
needed to be printed to disk before actually sending them to the printer.

The problem is that if one wants to print a few hundred records (as in
invoices) one has to wait for a very very long time (as in almost an hour
on a Mac SE) to see the first page printed out in an IW.  Not only that
but if something goes wrong (as in loosing connection with client) and
something always goes wrong, one waited almost an hour and never saw any
invoice coming out of that poor IW, and has to go through the process
again (and time=invoice=money).

Now, I admit that spooling is a nice idea, but half spooling is bad one.
It is also nice to know that Claris wants to reinvent the wheel in
Filemaker, they reinvented network filesharing and now spooling, but
that I see it as their responsibility to make it as good or better than
the existing software or concentrate in doing a good database management
program and let the spooling to others.

By the way, the explanation about the IW and the labels is from a letter
from Claris as a response to a complaint.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    University of Michigan AI Lab
Phone: (313)763-1255               |    Room 149, Advanced Technology Bldg.
Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (03/12/91)

mlbarrow@athena.mit.edu (Michael L Barrow) writes:
>There are problems with this in my book. I thought the whole point of
>client-server applications was to create a system in which a resource
>could be distributed among several clients and the clients should not
>notice each other (or not notice each other to a great extent, as in
>speed). WHY DOES ONE MACHINE CAUSE THE WHOLE SYSTEM TO LOSE?

Actually this is a "feature" that was inherited from FileMaker II.
The host notifies clients periodically of changes in the database.
When one of the clients is busy, it can cause a lockup for everyone.
What we added for FM Pro is the alert that lets you know this is happening.

As you pointed out, this is not an ideal solution, but it is an improvement
over FileMaker II, since it does alert you to the source of the problem.
Hopefully we'll be able to do better in a future release.

Brian
--

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) writes:

>I would also like to add a change in Filemaker Pro that was made to solve
>one problem and, in my opinion, created a bigger one.  Because of the
>IW II's insistence on moving back and forth every time a new page starts,
>and the annoyance this caused users of Filemaker II who printed out
>hundreds of labels, Claris made the decision to spool the set of records
>needed to be printed to disk before actually sending them to the printer.

>Now, I admit that spooling is a nice idea, but half spooling is bad one.

You make a good point.  We decided to change the printing mechanism in
response to complaints from ImageWriter users, but because of the reasons
you pointed out, it is sometimes inconvenient.  We hope to make this a
preference in a future release so that everyone will be happy.

Brian
--
Internet: skip@claris.com                 AppleLink: SCHIPPER1

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) (03/13/91)

In article <200@claris.com>, skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) writes:

|> Thank you for your comments.  While the behavior you describe may be annoying
|> to you, it is the same way that FileMaker II behaved.  It was not changed in
|> FileMaker Pro.  While we would have liked to change it so that the records
|> would remain sorted after the find,  we were somewhat limited by the
|> existing architecture of FileMaker II.  In order for us to retain the sort
|> order after every find, we would need to automatically perform a sort
|> after every find operation.  This would slow down finding dramatically
|> and would be annoying to some users.  Hopefully in the future we will be
|> able to change the architecture to make this work the way you would like.
|>
|> I understand your frustration, and I assure you that we are listening to
|> your comments.
|>
|> Brian
|> --
|> Internet: skip@claris.com                 AppleLink: SCHIPPER1

I appreciate the response from Brian.  However, I've gone back and double-checked and verified my claim, using the same database, the same sort, and the same find.  In FM II after a find, the records are still sorted in the original order.  In FM Pro they are not.
--
--------------------
Don MacQueen

skip@claris.com (Brian Schipper) (03/14/91)

macq@miguel.llnl.gov (Don MacQueen) writes:
>I appreciate the response from Brian.  However, I've gone back and
>double-checked and verified my claim, using the same database, the same sort,
>and the same find.  In FM II after a find, the records are still sorted in
>the original order.  In FM Pro they are not.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, Dan, but FileMaker II does not retain the
original sort order after a find.  When you find records, the records that
are found show up in the order that they were entered into the database.
What may be happening is that this order happens to be the same as the
order that you have sorted them by, but in general, this does not happen.

Brian
--
Internet: skip@claris.com                 AppleLink: SCHIPPER1

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (03/14/91)

I guess it's my turn to bitch about FileMaker Pro.  The one thing which
really irks me about FM Pro is that lookup files have to be in the same
folder if FM Pro is to find them automatically.  I use several databases
located in different folders which cross-reference each other and everytime
I use the databases, I have to manually located the lookup file since they
aren't in the same folder.  A wee bit brain dead.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690 [] Bay BBS: (415)775-2384
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034 [] FAX: (415)775-2225