[comp.sys.mac.apps] Follow up: personal financial software

ktubman@inetg1.Arco.COM (Kenneth M. Tubman (214)754-3871) (03/13/91)

I recently posted a request for information on personal financial
software.  A number of people have resonded, thanks to everyone.

Most people who responded use MacMoney and seem fairly happy with it.
I don't get the impression the interface thrills anyone and there
are some minor problems with end of year issues.  I almost get the
feeling it is used because there is nothing better out there.

Does anyone use Dollars and Sense?  (I haven't received a single
comment on this program.)  Does it have a nice user interface?
Does it also have problems with the end of the year?  Does it handle
recurring transaction easily?

Some people asked about Wealth Builder and Managing Your Money.
I got the demo disk from Reality software and was impressed with
Wealth Builder.  It does not do checkbook type accounting.  It is for
financial planning and investment tracking.  It appears to do this pretty
well.  I plan to get this to go along with a a checkbook program.

I sent for the Managing Your Money demo disk months ago and never received
anything.  A second request got the same response.

--

Ken Tubman          ARCO Oil & Gas Company
ktubman@arco.com    2300 W. Plano Parkway

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (03/13/91)

In <1991Mar12.170845.13671@Arco.COM> ktubman@inetg1.Arco.COM (Kenneth M. Tubman (214)754-3871) writes:

>I recently posted a request for information on personal financial
>software.  A number of people have resonded, thanks to everyone.

   Did anyone send any responses about Quicken.  This is personal/small
business size program for writing & printing checks and it keeps track of
your finances.  I don't have it but I have heard from others who REALLY like
it.  It doesn't do everything but it is so easy and slick.

   Anyone out there use Quicken???

--
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hoepfner              |            NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center |

ktubman@Arco.COM (Kenneth M. Tubman (214)754-3871) (03/13/91)

In article <hoepfner.668838720@heawk1> hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:
>In <1991Mar12.170845.13671@Arco.COM> ktubman@inetg1.Arco.COM (Kenneth M. Tubman (214)754-3871) writes:
>
>>I recently posted a request for information on personal financial
>>software.  A number of people have resonded, thanks to everyone.
>
>   Did anyone send any responses about Quicken.  This is personal/small
>
>   Anyone out there use Quicken???

Yes, I received a few comments on Quicken.  There is a person who works
here who really loves this program.  He has used it for 3 or 4 years.
The limited number of people who e-mailed to me about Quicken were
not as positive; one even warned against using it.  My impression is it
depends on your intended use.  Quicken is a checkbook program and nothing
else.  If you have any higher expectations you might be disappointed.

disclaimer: Remember, I don't own this program.  My opinions were formed
by talked with others.

--

Ken Tubman          ARCO Oil & Gas Company
ktubman@arco.com    2300 W. Plano Parkway
(214) 754-3871      Plano, TX 75075

holzman@sequent.UUCP (Alan Holzman) (03/14/91)

I have been using Quicken for a few years. It is very friendly and easy to use.
If your needs are simple (one checking account and writing/printing checks),
Quicken is the way to go. The downside of Quicken is that it cannot handle
multiple accounts IF you expect to transfer and balance between them. The other
issue is that Intuit seems much more oriented toward the IBM PC market. There
have been 3 IBM releases and zero MAC releases in the last 2 years. I'm just
about to begin using MacMoney. I'll let you know how it goes. My expectation
is for a longer learning curve, and a not as clean and easy an interface. The
good news is that MacMoney is a very powerful, full function product. Survivor
Software is dedicated to the MAC market and their support and CIS Bulletin
board are all rated as excellent.

Regards ;

- Alan

--
Alan Holzman                            Internet = holzman@sequent.com
Sequent Computer Systems Inc.           UUCP = ...!sequent!holzman

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (03/15/91)

In article <hoepfner.668838720@heawk1>
           hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) writes:

>   Did anyone send any responses about Quicken.  This is personal/small
>business size program for writing & printing checks and it keeps track of
>your finances.  I don't have it but I have heard from others who REALLY like
>it.  It doesn't do everything but it is so easy and slick.
>
>   Anyone out there use Quicken???

I have used Quicken for a few years now.  It does a very nice job for the
things that it does do, but it has a rather limited objectives.  I just bought
Checkwriter II from a company called Aatrix.  The user interface isn't as
smooth as Quicken, but it does let me do a number of things that Quicken
doesn't.

>| Patrick Hoepfner              |            NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
|
>| America Online: PatrickH9     |     Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov

One hopeful sign about Checkwriter II is that Aatrix is on America Online, and
seems to be interested in users comments (at least they're responding to the
comments, so you know he's seen them).

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
America Online: GaranceD