[comp.sys.mac.apps] Expanding a 512KE Up Up Up... But How?

thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Mark Thompson) (03/08/91)

My father owns a 512KE, but he wants to use a program which apparently
 requires 1 Meg.

What I'd like to know is if there's a way to expand a 512KE, memory-wise.
If so, how much does it cost?  Since street price on a Classic these days
is $750, it's hardly worth anything more than $300 to update an old usd 512er,
right?

Is this a case where I can replace some SIMMs, like I did with my SE?

e-mail would be appreciated, reply-wise.
-------------
Mark Thompson                       |             University of Illinois at
"Who was that Macced Man?"          |             Urbana-Champaign, Dept. of
thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu              |             Computer Science

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (03/14/91)

In <1991Mar8.094718.22462@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu
(Mark Thompson) writes:

>My father owns a 512KE, but he wants to use a program which apparently
>requires 1 Meg.

>What I'd like to know is if there's a way to expand a 512KE, memory-wise.
>If so, how much does it cost?  Since street price on a Classic these days
>is $750, it's hardly worth anything more than $300 to update an old usd 512er,
>right?

DigiGraphics has exactly what you need-- it will allow you to use SIMMs,
and you get a SCSI port, too, all for $149! Installation usually involves
a board swap (I just drove up there with my Mac). I have been very happy
with my machine.

DigiGraphics
764 E. Village Way
Kaysville UT 84307
[801] 544-2009

>Is this a case where I can replace some SIMMs, like I did with my SE?

Nowhere to install them!

>e-mail would be appreciated, reply-wise.

On its way, under separate cover (this info will be useful to others),
thus the posting.

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (03/16/91)

In <416ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu writes:

>In <1991Mar8.094718.22462@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, thompson@m.cs.uiuc.edu
>(Mark Thompson) writes:

>>My father owns a 512KE, but he wants to use a program which apparently
>>requires 1 Meg.

>>What I'd like to know is if there's a way to expand a 512KE, memory-wise.

[... stuff deleted about another vendor of memory upgrade boards...]

Dove also makes the MacSnap line of upgrade products. I installed one in
a 512KE that takes 6 SIMMs, so i upgraded the mac to 2 megs-0.5 meg on the
logic board, and 6 256K SIMMs. So there is something to do with 256K SIMMs.

Rich Akerboom
--
Rich Akerboom        Internet, etc.:   boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sylvan Software      UUCP:             decvax!dartvax!eleazar!boomer