[comp.sys.mac.apps] Xpress won't print pix

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (03/14/91)

We have a problem here with Xpress refusing to print scanned
TIFF images in a document -- that is to say, it tells us it
is printing but doesn't. Moreover, printing a rough takes
20-30 mins/page! We have just moved the system to a IIfx,
and it works fine on the IIcx.

Details are: system 6.05, multifinder, Internet Router
running on the server (files are on the internal hard disk)
converting from ethernet to localtalk, and a number of
previously harmless INITs and CDEVs. Background printing is
off.

To add to the mystery, when we take the files created on this
machine to the bureau, they also have problems unless they
save the Xpress file to their hard disk and relink the graphics
at print time.

What the hell is happening here? Can anyone help us? Please
email typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au with any ideas, and if
this is a common/fixable problem, I'll summarise to the net.

Thanks.

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow - System Admin) (03/16/91)

|We have a problem here with Xpress refusing to print scanned
|TIFF images in a document -- that is to say, it tells us it
|is printing but doesn't. Moreover, printing a rough takes
|20-30 mins/page! We have just moved the system to a IIfx,
|and it works fine on the IIcx.
|
|Details are: system 6.05, multifinder, Internet Router
|running on the server (files are on the internal hard disk)
|converting from ethernet to localtalk, and a number of
|previously harmless INITs and CDEVs. Background printing is
|off.

I have found that if a screen saver kicks in during the printing process in
XPress, it will do things like that, could this be happening to you?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group