[comp.sys.mac.apps] StuffIt Deluxe and Classic!

ole@forit.forut.no (Ole Jorgen Maland) (03/13/91)

Some days ago I received a program from a friend of mine in the US. It was
packed with Stiffit Deluxe a program which I am not the happy owner of. So
I tried to download it from several FTP-sites. But when I try to convert it
with Binhex (I use Binhex5) it goes on working for a while and then I get an
error message that says: "CRC ($68F6) error". What is this, and what is wrong?
I have been downloading stuff from several FTP-sites before, so I am used to
it, but I don't think I have tried to download such big files as unstuffit-
deluxe (>170k), could it have something with the size to do. Please help me
because this have become a serious problem for me.........

Ole Jorgen

--
 /////      Ole Joergen Maeland     |  P.O.Box 2806 Elverhoey   \\\\\
/////  Norwegian Telecommunications |  N-9001 Tromsoe, Norway    \\\\\

STREATER@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (415) (03/14/91)

I have been using binhex 4.0 to read stuff, but before I could make it work (I
too was getting CRC errors) I had to edit the files and remove stuff in front
of the line which says:

(unpack this file with binhex)

or some such line. Generally, people put a mail item at the front of the file
to explain what it's for; I was told that binhex ignores stuff before that
line but I couldn't make it work without deleteing that stuff. I used Word
(Teachtext works too) to open the .hqx files and edit that stuff out.

ole@forit.forut.no (Ole Jorgen Maland) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.135539.13953@mack.uit.no> ole@forit.forut.no (Ole Jorgen Maland) writes:
>I tried to download it from several FTP-sites. But when I try to convert it
>with Binhex (I use Binhex5) it goes on working for a while and then I get an
>error message that says: "CRC ($68F6) error". What is this, and what is wrong?

I have got several answers from you out there, but all aof you says that I
*should* be using Binhex4. Well I have tried Binhex4 and I get just the same
error message, besides I have always used BinHex5 converting things that
is on BinHex4-format, so I know it works. Any other suggestions?????

Ole Jorgen

--

dplatt@ntg.uucp (Dave Platt) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.135539.13953@mack.uit.no> ole@forit.forut.no (Ole Jorgen Maland) writes:

>Some days ago I received a program from a friend of mine in the US. It was
>packed with Stiffit Deluxe a program which I am not the happy owner of. So
>I tried to download it from several FTP-sites. But when I try to convert it
>with Binhex (I use Binhex5) it goes on working for a while and then I get an
>error message that says: "CRC ($68F6) error". What is this, and what is wrong?

I believe that this is probably due to a bug in the un-BinHex'ing
routines in BinHex 4.0 and BinHex 5.0.  If the file that was originally
encoded has a name which was longer than 26 characters, both BinHex 4.0
and BinHex 5.0 will report a CRC error, and the decoded file will be
damaged.  The error is reported at the end of the decoding process.

I recently sent a BinHex'ed version of the UnStuffIt Deluxe(tm)
Installer application to a friend, and he was unable to decode the
binhexing because the original file's name was 27 characters long.  I
was able to reproduce the problem quite reliably on my machine.  I've
found that the un-BinHex'ing command in StuffIt 1.5.1, and the
Unix-based "mcvert" program, could decode the file without difficulty.

I remember hearing (several years ago) that the author of BinHex 4.0 had
acknowledged the bug.  As far as I know, it has never been fixed.

Another reason that this error can pop up is if you fail to remove the
email/netnews headers from the beginning of the file... BinHex 4.0
doesn't know to skip over these headers.  StuffIt 1.5.1 and mcvert will
both skip over the headers and look for the "(This file..." line.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
                    UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow - System Admin) (03/16/91)

|Some days ago I received a program from a friend of mine in the US. It was
|packed with Stiffit Deluxe a program which I am not the happy owner of. So
|I tried to download it from several FTP-sites. But when I try to convert it
|with Binhex (I use Binhex5) it goes on working for a while and then I get an
|error message that says: "CRC ($68F6) error". What is this, and what is
|wrong? I have been downloading stuff from several FTP-sites before, so I am
|used to it, but I don't think I have tried to download such big files as
|unstuffit-deluxe (>170k), could it have something with the size to do.
|Please help me because this have become a serious problem for me.........

Most files that are archived on FTP sites use BinHex 4.0, not 5.0, this could
be where you are running into your problem.

How many times did you FTP the file, did it do the exact same thing, in the
same place on two different files? Have you compared to different FTPed files
to see if there were any differences in them?

It might even be a corrupt file at the site that you are FTPing from.

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (03/17/91)

Thank you to Will Lauer & Jess Holle for telling me the answer:
Multispool on sumex.