[comp.sys.mac.apps] S-L-O-O-O-W Word 4.00D opening

tuttle@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (David L. Claytor) (03/19/91)

I've noticed that my Word 4.00D opens files slo-o-o-wly, taking a full
sixty seconds from the time I double-click on the icon until I can
begin entering data.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

--
David L. Claytor
tuttle@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (03/19/91)

In article <8T51y1w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> tuttle@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (David L. Claytor) writes:
>I've noticed that my Word 4.00D opens files slo-o-o-wly, taking a full
>sixty seconds from the time I double-click on the icon until I can
>begin entering data.  Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
>--
>David L. Claytor
>tuttle@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
>...!umich!leebai!mudos!tuttle

You probably have either "Load Program Into Memory : Always" or "Load
File Into Memory : Always" checked.  This basically says that, whenever
you open either the Word program, or a Word document, it tries to squeeze
as much of the program/document in memory it can.  Seeing as how Word is
a 672K program, this lengthy delay is understandable.  The check marks
for thse options are in the "Preferences..." in the Edit menu.
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."