[comp.sys.mac.apps] INIT conflict: Norton Util and Word 4.0

jdm@boulder.colorado.edu (Jim Meiss) (03/19/91)

	I have found a serious INIT conflict between Norton Utilities
version 1.0 "Directory Assistance" INIT and Word 4.0B, using System 6.0.5 on
Mac IIcx, or IIci.

The Bug: Run Word 4.0B with Directory Assistance loaded.  Copy something into
the clipboard. Open a new document in Word, and paste in the clipboard. Make
some changes. Hit "Cmd S" or select "Save As".
After you type the first few letters of the filename, CRASH! You loose all the
work you've done on that document. Its especially disturbing for the unwary
user who's typed for 15 minutes without saving.

	Microsoft reps claim they haven't heard of this. Removing Directory Assistance
definitely fixes the problem.

	Solution: THROW AWAY Directory Assistance (or Word). There seems to be no
conflict with any other program besides Word (naturally).

	Jim Meiss

eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Hangnail Whipperwill) (03/19/91)

  Hmm.  I tried what you described on my machine (SE/30, Directory
Assistance running, 6.0.5, Word 4.0A) and had no problems saving the new
documents as "ReallyLongName".  Must be that version of Word.

Brian

|Brian Eck                      | "Cock-rock metal's like a bad laxative |
|eck@eniac.seas.upenn.edu       |  It just don't move me, ya know?" -DKs |

maser@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steven Michael Maser) (03/20/91)

I have had the same problem as you.  Unfortunatly, it's not one of those
easily reproduceable problems.  My problem is I like Word *and*
Directory Assistance enough to deal with them.

My solution is usually to save the document before I paste anything
into it.  It doesn't crash then.

 Steve Maser                       | "One.  One Hand.  One Hand
   - another systems programmer at |  Two Dots.  One Hand, Two
     maser@caen.engin.umich.edu    |  Dots..." - Flo and Eddie

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.191757.10797@colorado.edu> jdm@boulder.colorado.edu (Jim Meiss) writes:
>	Microsoft reps claim they haven't heard of this. Removing Directory Assistance
>definitely fixes the problem.
>
>	Solution: THROW AWAY Directory Assistance (or Word). There seems to be no
>conflict with any other program besides Word (naturally).
>
>	Jim Meiss

I'd say throw away Word.... but it's just an opinion.
(no flames.... I melt easily... and they broke the mold when they made me!)

DennisLippert- macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu