[comp.sys.mac.apps] Corrupted Adobe Illustrator Files

bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) (03/16/91)

Help! I have several hundred Adobe Illustrator files which have
become corrupted. According to Adobe, the reason is because I was
backing up and down from a Syquest tape backup unit. I don't believe
this, but then again, I don't care. I want my data back.

Does anyone know of any PD utilities that might help me recover
the data by patching the files? When I double click on the files what
I get is a bunch of corrupted junk.

Help!

Thanks

Bob Zigon

robertw@informix.com (Robert Weinberg) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar15.220208.20191@truevision.com> bobz@truevision.com (Bob Zigon) writes:
>I have several hundred Adobe Illustrator files which have
>become corrupted.
>Does anyone know of any PD utilities that might help me recover
>the data by patching the files?

No.

BUT, remember, an Illustrator file is strictly a text file that
can be edited from any word processor. You could, for instance,
open a known GOOD Illustrator file from WORD or any other wp program,
and copy all the boilerplate header and footer and replace the
header and footer in one of your corrupted docs. To isolate the
header and footer, create an Illustrator doc with nothing in it at
all. If the corruption is in the header or footer of your doc, this
may save it. If there is text lost in between, however, it's gone.

So these are the steps:
1) create an empty Illustrator doc, call it MrNull.
2) make a copy of your corrupted Illustrator doc
3) open both docs from a word processor
4) copy everything but the header and footer stuff from the
bad doc and paste it into MrNull, between the header and footer.
5) save this modified MrNull as LotsaLuck.
6) quite your word-processor and try double-clicking LotsaLuck.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this!

--
* Rob Weinberg, graphics & publishing ***** Does a falling tree make a sound *
*  {uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      *****   if  1: no one hears it         *